3D Printing 3D Printing File Repository

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a model for a solid 1/70 scale apollo launch tower? I do not have the skills or patience to build one that will break on the first flight anyway and it it just looks wrong to fly it without one.
That's 5 feet of tower you've got to print. It's a lot of printing....

Lol, what I was actually looking for was the launch abort tower for the 1/70 scale apollo capsule for the semoroc kit and the liitle joe II kit.

Attachments

• IMG_8325.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
As anyone who has attempted to do a proper fillet in a parametric design will tell you, it's a complete pain and will involve WAY more of your time than you anticipate....... @kalsow @vcp And then some more........ The Minkiwski fillet tool WORKS..... BUT..... takes WAY too long to be practical for fin cans.
I had it working but stopped. The approach was just not practical.
The latest version of the fincan designer takes a pragmatic approach. It calculates things close enough that in a print, you won't notice the difference....
Here's a couple of screen shots with a 40mm fillet on a very small fin and a tube just large enough. I'll deposit the updated designer in Norms SCAD Files.
If you find any issues, please let me know. It may take me a bit to address any issues as I'm over it for now...I'll be ok later....
View attachment 623732View attachment 623733
What is the problem with the fillet tool?

I wanted some small scoops to easily measure out ejection charges in the field. The only ones that I found online seemed to be clones of commercially available scoops, and as such weren't optimized for 3D printing and needed tons of support. I threw together a parametric thing in Onshape to make a scoop, and it seems to be working quite well.

PXL_20240411_073647706.MP.jpg

All of the ones in the above picture printed fine without support, but I ran into issues with the 5cc design. It'll depend on how good your printer is at doing overhangs.

Links:
Printables repository with a bunch of sizes

Onshape document. Just change the volume variable to however many CCs you need. There's another scoop design in there that I'm not as satisfied with, but it could be a better options for larger sizes.

I wanted some small scoops to easily measure out ejection charges in the field. The only ones that I found online seemed to be clones of commercially available scoops, and as such weren't optimized for 3D printing and needed tons of support. I threw together a parametric thing in Onshape to make a scoop, and it seems to be working quite well.

View attachment 639988

All of the ones in the above picture printed fine without support, but I ran into issues with the 5cc design. It'll depend on how good your printer is at doing overhangs.

Links:

Onshape document. Just change the volume variable to however many CCs you need. There's another scoop design in there that I'm not as satisfied with, but it could be a better options for larger sizes.

Those are very nice. I paid quite a bit for little yellow ones for black powder.

View attachment 639988

Links:

Grabbed and printing... TYVM!

Building a 75MM motor mount and needed a motor case simulator to ensure the motor retainer was properly centered, so designed and printed this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6558986

It should work as a motor plug for deployment testing too!

I have done something similar. Not just for simulated motors, but I plug all tubes to prevent the smell from entering my car.

Last edited:
https://github.com/kayla-tokash/jackal_rocket_prints/tree/main/motor_plugs

Added a set of motor mount plugs/caps for ejection charge testing and capping the inside of the rocket (for smell and what not). Available in 29mm, 38mm, 54mm, 75mm, and 98mm. I'll probably make something similar for body tubes at some point.

Example of the 54mm. I did have to add some tap to friction fit it; so that's recommended if you're doing a EC test at least. (edit) I fixed it so it should fit the LOC retainer, no idea about aeropack or other retainer styles.

Attachments

• IMG_9366.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Example of the 54mm. I did have to add some tap to friction fit it; so that's recommended if you're doing a EC test at least.
Would hope you are using the retainer to secure it during testing as opposed to friction fit.

Keep in mind that these won't take up the entire volume that the motor case will, so could impact ground testing vs the real thing.

Would hope you are using the retainer to secure it during testing as opposed to friction fit.

Keep in mind that these won't take up the entire volume that the motor case will, so could impact ground testing vs the real thing.
I guess it would depend on the retainer. I'd have to shrink the lip slightly because my LOC retainer's screw-on head doesn't fit over it. Easy fix at least (e, just did it). Can't say how it will do with other retainers unfortunately. I'm not using this for ground testing at the moment (relying on motor ejection still), but definitely could use some tweaking to that end.

Yeah for ground testing, it might be best to plug the inside/top of the MMT as well as the bottom just to make sure the volume is closer to a "loaded" volume.

E2:
Fits the LOC retainer now.
IMG_9367.jpeg

Last edited:
Back