3D Printing 3d printing a fin alignment guide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicStorm

Reaction score
I want you to post your best working 3d printed fin alignment guide design. Lets see what you got!

Apply the glue to the tube, put the tube in the guide, then push the fins in. I haven't used them, but another modeler has and he seemed to like it.

I have heard many good things about the basic 2x cardboard cut outs like this. You would have to make one for each size but hey, perfection isnt a speedy process. After using the estes fin alignment tool (total crap btw) and messing up my first camanchee 3 build that ive been wanting to do for the past 20 years, i think i will be using something like this from now on. If only we could make something like this accept adjustable somehow. HmmmmmmmScreenshot_2021-05-09-11-22-35-032.jpg

Yes that one works very well i have heard. Now i just need one for each tube size in 3 and 4 fin configurations. Lol

Yes, you do have to print all sizes and fin configurations, but I do have alot of PLA filament laying around. I feel I have to rotate my stock anyway!

There's a "Customizer" in Thingiverse that allows you to resize the jigs, enter the number and thickness of fins.... This feature never works for me tho? It says it'll mail it to me when done... I had a nose cone in there for 5 months and never heard anything - it says it was still processing...? Dunno what is wrong tho - need to spend more time w it! :)

I waisted 50 bucks on an estes fin alignment tool and camanchee 3. That was my dream kit that i wanted but never got. That camanche 3 fin alignment is crookeder then a dogs hine leg. Gotta come up with something really simple that will fit 3 or 4 fins and fit any size dia. Body tube. The camanchee along with many(all) other designs deserve an easy straight fin. Massed produced, cheaply, would really change the hobby if it were really versatile. Now that the technology is at our fingertips, we got this.

This 3D printed jig only works with slotted airframes, but it does work well. They can even be cut from foam board with an X-Acto-knife.

Attachments

• Fin Jig 1.JPG
    Fin Jig 1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 16
  • Fin Jig.JPG
    Fin Jig.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 17
Back