3D Printing 3D printer plunge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Prusa plain PEI bed seems to have good adhesion al by itself for PETG (Amazon Basics brand). I tried Chuck’s tip of using a bit of Windex as the bed approaches final temp - way too much adhesion. Simply cleaning the bed with alcohol and printing is showing good first layer adhesion and easy release. For now anyway.

I have had good luck maintaining adhesion on the Prusa PEI bed with a quick wipe of 90% isopropyl alcohol before each print starts; until just the other day. Went back to the Prusa support and they say to wipe the PEI bed with acetone once a week. Did that last night and good adhesion returned.

See the 10:15 mark in the following support video by Joe Prusa:

Last edited:
I have had good luck maintaining adhesion on the Prusa PEI bed with a quick wipe of 90% isopropyl alcohol before each print starts; until just the other day. Went back to the Prusa support and they say to wipe the PEI bed with acetone once a week. Did that last night and good adhesion return.

Know that video well! Good tip.

I have had good luck maintaining adhesion on the Prusa PEI bed with a quick wipe of 90% isopropyl alcohol before each print starts; until just the other day. Went back to the Prusa support and they say to wipe the PEI bed with acetone once a week. Did that last night and good adhesion return.

X3. I use acetone about every 2 weeks. Heck, it even works on the PC TXT bed.

Good evening everyone. I thought I would pop on in to say a few thoughts. Fascinating thread on the beauties of 3D printing. Oh, and while I am here, I would like to clear a *few* things up.
I installed Octoprint and a Raspberry Pi. This little addition really allows me to control and monitor prints after I leave my apartment.
So, CW, you installed OctoPrint, did you? Funny, that is not quite how I remember it. I remember a collection of insignificant details that differ.
So you flashed the install of the corrupted NOOBS install we received from Adafruit? So you realized that Octoprint ran only in a text-based environment and to have Octoprint run with a desktop, you had to install Raspbian and then install Octoprint on top of that, how to get the web browser to boot up to the Octoprint client, and figured out how to connect the 3.5 inch screen that is no longer supported by Raspbian out-of-the-box? And did all of this with a splitting headache? You're welcome by the way.

On the Octoprint topic, I also installed it. I downloaded Octopi, and the setup was straightforward. I’d recommend it, and this video which takes you through the procedure:
Works as advertised.

Well, I have to admit that my son made this possible. I am recovering from a clogged extruder and influenza right now. Since he brought it home from school, guess he made both the octoprint and my illness possible.

Yup. My son took the printer apart today and it is back together and works fine. Amazing, he did it without cussing. It would have not happened this way if I had done it.

Yup. My son took the printer apart today and it is back together and works fine. Amazing, he did it without cussing. It would have not happened this way if I had done it.

Do you mean that the printer would not be working if you had taken it apart or that you would have been cussing the entire time?

Where is the best place to buy the best newest version of a Raspberry Pi Zero W?

Jim

Well, I have to admit that my son made this possible. I am recovering from a clogged extruder and influenza right now. Since he brought it home from school, guess he made both the octoprint and my illness possible.

I had a clogged extruder and found Miralax to help.

Sparkfun is also a good source and they are reliable. Price shop both.

I understand that but I have a few questions that need answering?

Jim

Jim, try pinging them on Twitter or Facebook as well - I suspect that being called out publicly would get their attention. Also if you create an account on their site you can live chat with support (about an order). They also have a forum with a robust user community.

Are your questions about an order or are they general product inquiries?

I will check when I get home. I Built one with a 3b and second with a zero

I will check when I get home. I Built one with a 3b and second with a zero

3B was easier to set up and does not require soldering. It is also more powerful.

I just checked. The 20mm ones are what we used. I have two. One zero mounted in a case with the Prusa and one on top with a touch screen(3B).

Back