3D printed slide-on 1010 rail support for rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
I don't really like supporting my high power rockets with their fins or body tube resting on a metal c-clamp. So, I threw together a quick design for a support that slides down a standard 1010 rail that'll hold a rocket up by its fins. To use this, just slide it down a 1010 rail & put that dreaded c-clamp under it at the height you want. Slide your rocket into place & launch away.

I originally had the arms tapered on one side to use less material, but I changed it to be symmetrical so that if one side gets worn the other side should still work.

It should work for most 29 or 38mm rockets - probably bigger than that too. If you try it and have any comments/recommendations/brainstorms, please post here so I can tweak it for wider use.

You can grab the stl files here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2211050

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 2.07.17 PM.png

Neat idea! I can think of a couple of rockets I'd like to use something like this on. I usually grab a spent BP case or something as a stand-off as it is, now.

Tell me: would it be possible to position this at a given raised point on the rail? Perhaps a set screw somewhere?

Later!

--Coop

Tell me: would it be possible to position this at a given raised point on the rail? Perhaps a set screw somewhere?
For now, just put a c-clamp underneath this part. I.e. clamp the c-clamp directly to the 1010 rail & slide the 3d printed rocket support down until it rests on the clamp. It wouldn't be too hard to add the ability to install a t-nut and/or set screw though. That's in the plan for a future update, for sure.

Thanks!

How do you think this will stand up to hot rocket exhaust?
Great question - no idea. Printing in PETG or other higher temp material should help, but it's definitely going to be in the blast after the rocket starts to move. Depending on the infill % that people choose, they should only cost $1-2 worth of filament each. I was going to take a handful to the next launch and see how they do. If they only last one launch, then I might make a shorter one to use less material. Honestly, I'm fine with them only lasting one or two launches for that price. Although a nice CNC milled stainless one would be nice. :)

We'll see!

I typically use something like this as a rail stop - it rests on the bottom centering ring of the rocket. I've had one for over 8 years and 50+ launches and it is a bit pitted, but still works.

4176_photo.png

Edward

I just have a 1/4-20 bolt sticking out of the rail a few inches above the blast plate. Seems to work well. Bottom of the airframe just sits on it. A Button head bolt's head slides into the groove nicely. All you need is a washer and a nut to lock it in place and it can be moved if needed.

My issue is that people put their rockets on the wrong side of my rail and they melted all the plastic parts of the mounting and adjustment knobs at the last launch. Totally ignored the blast plate on the OTHER side, or maybe too lazy to move the rocket over after noticing it? Just don't care? I'm gonna fix this with some lockout bolts on the three sides up at the top that i don't want a rocket loaded...

So what's wrong with a cornstalk?? :)

We will have sand-offs at the next launch that aren't cornstalks or rocks, or broken tile........

Just a follow up for those with morbid curiosity. I flew this today with a part printed with Hatchbox PETG with a 20% infill. I only did one flight on it - an Aerotech J270W. It got coated in motor exhaust and one of the outer edges had some melting/fraying of 1-2 layers (about 0.5mm), but overall it was still in great shape. It

IMG_0433.jpg IMG_8713-crop.jpg

C-clamp???

Rocket stop for a 1010 rail...

A 2" long #10-32 machine screw with a Keps-nut on the end of it. Slip the nut inside the bottom of the rail, and turn the screw until tight. Instant rocket stop. And you can rest your 3-d plastic part against it, too.

The cheaper option is a 1/4" panhead screw, slide the head inside the channel, screw a nut on from the outside to tighten in place. Costs nothing if you dig around your garage.

Rocket science...
Riiiiiight. :) I guess the real use for this for me is with fly-away rail guides on min-diameter rockets that have fins that don't extend past the bottom of the rocket. With a tapered closure, there isn't really anything to rest on at the bottom of the rocket unless you want something extending into the motor exhaust. There are definitely different ways to do it, but this'll let me use a fly-away rail guide without any risk of the rocket sliding out the bottom of it.

Back