3D Printed Rocket Parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
3D Printed Nose Cone and Transition
Here is some 3D printing I have been doing for rocketry lately. Thought I’d learn the process and 3D CAD along the way.

This is a 4" NC, and a 3"-4" transition. Both are destined for a 1/2 scale Nike Apache project I have been working on for a while.

NCRearView.png
NCCouplerSideView.png
Mated1.png

Coupler1.png

For further details on the journey and the outcome, check out this link on Ausrocketry.com:
https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5019

Material is ABS, printed on a Stratasys 1200ES.

Had about half a dozen flights for the NC already. Have only gone to Mach 1 so far (on my Velociraptor R).

Next flight will be a solo run for the Apache on its maiden voyage, and I am expecting Mach 1.2 for that. Still not excessively fast.

I just got back from Darwin. Nice place but, HOT!
Great work on the parts!!

Nice!

What CAD software are you using? Do you have any pics of the parts just off the printer?

Greg

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hmm. Darwin. Nice place. Big bottles of beer and big crocodiles!

CAD software: as stated in the complete build thread on the first post it is SolidWorks (2013). These parts were my first attempts at 3D CAD (and SolidWorks), so if the files look like they have been designed by a neanderthal then I will accept that criticism. I know I have some refining of my technique to work on. I will flip the file across next time I fire up the CAD PC.

Surface finish on the 3D parts out of the printer is not too bad:
20150617_160131.jpg
Any images of the lower NC section (in the link on the first post) are all in as-printed finish too.

Commencing processing for flight tonight. Looking forward to flying in October :)

IMG_1532.jpg

That guy is about 20 feet long and weighs over 2,000 lbs.!!

Last edited:
Flown the Apache solo a couple of times now, with the 3D NC, transition and rear fin spacers.

First flight was on an M840 to about 17k'. Streamlined on the way in and deployed the main at 290 kph. Snapped the 3D printed transition across the z-axis weakness. :( Otherwise a great flight and recovery.

Hit the print button again. Minor repair to the NC.

Second flight at "MARS Attacks" launch. Entirely nominal. 13k' on an M1770. Mach 1.1. Landed 1.2mi downrange.
Apache1resize.JPG Apache2resize.jpg Apache3Resize3.jpg

Landed 300 yards into a 6" high fodder crop. Even at 60' away it was invisible. Thank goodness for GPS.

At 60', nothing. 60ft.jpg

At 9'. 9ft.jpg

Back