3D printed retention?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparrowhawk

Reaction score
I'm designing a rocket with a 41.6mm (BT-60) body tube and a 29mm motor mount; I couldn't find any (cheap!) engine retention solutions for composite engines at these dimensions, as all the (cheap!) retainers I could find had an OD larger than 41.6mm. I found a great model on thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3691731/files), and I was wondering if it's feasible to do something like this in PLA filament. Will it melt?

I suppose I do need some new filament anyway... I’ll buy some PETG then.

Will it melt from the heat of the engine casing?

It will melt but I have not had it melt from the motor casing.

The retainer should be mounted to a paper tube. It will retain the motor. I've never had one melt except around the end with the motor throat.

The retainer should be mounted to a paper tube. It will retain the motor. I've never had one melt except around the end with the motor throat.
Oh when I said motor casing I just meant the heat from it going thru the mmt lol sorry if that was worded badly. So structurally it will still hold?

Last edited:
Print solid. PETG, or PLA Pro. I've not had one fail, up through level 2 motors. One kit has Nine 38mm H and I motor launches and the outer retainer is just a bit discolored. You can always print a new outer retainer...

Back