3D Printing 3d printed multicolor BSG Colonial VIper 38mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexzogh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
some answers to the questions above...

1) entire rocket is printed in PLA. No part of the rocket will be touching the rocket motor. The motor retainer which will be in contact with the bottom of the motor is printed in PAHT-CF which has a heat threshold 3x that of ABS. Needless to say, I won't be flying this in Kansas in the middle of the summer. I didn't include the motor retainer in the file, but I'm happy to put it up on printables if anyone is interested. I will have to remove my name on it as I don't think other people will be happy having "Zoghlin Rocketry" on their rockets :).

With the motor retainer, 38mm fiberglass motor tube, fiberglass coupler (for nosecone), and nosecone AV bay, it looks like I will still have to add about 6 oz of shot in the nosecone for safe overstability.

Have a few motors in mind, but want to sim it before committing to it in writing.

some answers to the questions above...

1) entire rocket is printed in PLA. No part of the rocket will be touching the rocket motor. The motor retainer which will be in contact with the bottom of the motor is printed in PAHT-CF which has a heat threshold 3x that of ABS. Needless to say, I won't be flying this in Kansas in the middle of the summer. I didn't include the motor retainer in the file, but I'm happy to put it up on printables if anyone is interested. I will have to remove my name on it as I don't think other people will be happy having "Zoghlin Rocketry" on their rockets :).

With the motor retainer, 38mm fiberglass motor tube, fiberglass coupler (for nosecone), and nosecone AV bay, it looks like I will still have to add about 6 oz of shot in the nosecone for safe overstability.

Have a few motors in mind, but want to sim it before committing to it in writing.
Sweeet! :wos_love:

Just put up V1 of a 3d printed Colonial Viper.

This was my first attempt to use Bambu Studio's "Project" capabilities. You can assemble, and disassemble the rocket in the software to see how it's put together. Three plates worth of printing, and many, many filament changes.

https://www.printables.com/model/375523-bsg-colonial-viper-flyable-model
View attachment 558469
View attachment 558467

View attachment 558468

View attachment 558575
Very nice model, but a suggestion... Make each different color section a separate .stl file rather than the entire model in one file. This is difficult to slice. The only way to separate the sections would be to import into tinker CAD then split up the parts.. (I don't know how to use any other complex 3d modelling software...) That will most likely destroy some of the details.

Very nice model, but a suggestion... Make each different color section a separate .stl file rather than the entire model in one file. This is difficult to slice. The only way to separate the sections would be to import into tinker CAD then split up the parts.. (I don't know how to use any other complex 3d modelling software...) That will most likely destroy some of the details.

Unfortunately, Bambu Studio, the product I colored the model in does not have the functionality to segment the stl by color. Worse, it only saves it in a proprietary version of a 3mf file.

I also have a license to simplycolor3d that will allow you to save each color as its own stl. I'm currently a beta tester for version 3, which is the first version that's actually usable. If I have some time, I'll recolor it in Simplycolor3d and upload it.

If anyone is interested, you can find it here:

https://www.bigbrain3d.com/product/simplycolor3d-software-to-make-any-3d-print-multicolor/

Last edited:
Back