3D Printed Mount for Estes Astrocam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFlyer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone designed a 3D printed HPR bodytube mount for the new USB Drive ,Astrocam from Estes? I looked on thingiverse and found these which could be modified to fit my need.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4977808/files
Would love to have a mount for my LOC IV. Worst case I could tape it to the body but would prefer something a bit more elegant.

Last edited:
And you don't want to use one of the shrouds from Apogee or Additive?

https://www.additiveaerospace.com/collections/video-camera-shrouds

I was hoping to use the astrocam as I already have it so if I can have a mount printed that would be ideal. Its more of a, "I have this and want to use it" than a "i want a camera on my rocket" kind of thing. Hope that makes sense.

If Additive made a mount specifically for the astrocam I'd certainly buy it and I may reach out to them to see if they would. The apogee shrouds aren't much of a step up from just taping it to the side of my rocket so those are a no-go for me.

So you're looking for a 3D file for a NC that will fit the AC cam and fits a LOC IV? Personally, I tape it to the rockets with two layers of masking tape. You're right, not elegant but great results.

No, just a camera mount for the estes astrocam (similar to what additive aerospace makes) that I can glue or screw to the side of my payload bay.

Yeah I did see that. Issue is that I'd really only want the mount and not an extra camera. I downloaded the instructions and the mount and strap piece have part numbers so maybe they will be available separately.
I emailed Estes tech support and they say that they won't be selling just the mount.

Thank you for finding this. Eventually, I would like to fit the Estes camera to a rocket that will hold a decent parachute. I think it would be easy to change the ring diameter in tinkercad.

If you ever get around to it, please share the file. I'd just want one contoured to fit a 4" body tube. I'd epoxy or screw it in place so no need for the full ring.

The strap-on mount and camera is now available for order at the https://estesrockets.com/product/002208-universal-astrocam-hd-rocket-camera-and-holder/ site. Estes has their annual tree ornaments available so you can push the order up over the "free shipping" limit, if necessary...

Yeah, I've seen this but its the same price as the astrocam rocket kit and I don't want or need another camera. I just want a universal bracket to glue to the side of a rocket so I can move a single camera around as a novelty. Frankly, I taped my cam to my rocket last weekend and it was fine. Not very elegant of a solution but it worked fine.

...Frankly, I taped my cam to my rocket last weekend and it was fine. Not very elegant of a solution but it worked fine.
What rocket motor combo did tape it to? I have three launches with it on LPR models, but I want to tape it to a 4" LOC on an H135. I'm wondering if the taped on bracket method will hold on a high power launch.

I've taped it onto a number of rockets including a LOC IV and a Discount Rocketry Crayon rocket. I've launched the Crayon with a J420R with it taped to the nosecone and had no issues. The secret is using electrical tape. I make a loop (sticky side out) and place the camera on that and then wrap perpendicular around the nosecone to hold it in place. Works well.

I've taped it onto a number of rockets including a LOC IV and a Discount Rocketry Crayon rocket. I've launched the Crayon with a J420R with it taped to the nosecone and had no issues. The secret is using electrical tape. I make a loop (sticky side out) and place the camera on that and then wrap perpendicular around the nosecone to hold it in place. Works well.
Why electrical tape and not some good Scotch masking tape?

Do you use the little tyvek paper bands Estes provides?

Do you have any pics of your method? I can seem to visualize what you're talking about when you said you make a loop and sticky side out.

\
The loop of electrical tape (or double sided foam tape) keeps the camera from sliding under boost which could cause it to come loose. Electrical tape works well cause you can put some stretch into it when securing the camera. My camera came with the astrocam rocket so I don't have the cradle or tyvek strips the universal astrocam comes with. Hope that helps!

Screenshot 2022-05-18 213317.png

\
The loop of electrical tape (or double sided foam tape) keeps the camera from sliding under boost which could cause it to come loose. Electrical tape works well cause you can put some stretch into it when securing the camera. My camera came with the astrocam rocket so I don't have the cradle or tyvek strips the universal astrocam comes with. Hope that helps!

View attachment 519232
Yes, that helps alot. Thanks for the quick response.

So far I have used 2 horizontal and 2 vertical strips of high quality masking tape. This has held very well.

Attachments

• 7CE44E12-2A69-4530-9D53-5B144229A95A.jpeg
    7CE44E12-2A69-4530-9D53-5B144229A95A.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
I, too, use electrical tape and have used it on rockets up to K impulse with no problems. On several rockets, I just leave two base wraps of tape on the rockets since it can pull off paint. Then when I want to add the camera, I already have a spot to put in on. I do a couple of wraps on the camera and then tightly tape it onto the rocket at the places where the tape is. Have successfully taped a Booster Vision, Apogee USB, and Astrocam with this method. I make allowances for getting to the camera's controls.

Back