3D Printing 3d printed fin can for high power rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbaba13

Reaction score
Is 3d printing a fin can out of material like PETG viable? I'm thinking of printing one for my level one certification.

I've printed several using the model posted by user VCP here and flown them on H motors. Printed with PETG. I got quite a bit of stringing at first but finally got the printing dialed in. They survived the flights just fine.

I know there was discussion about whether 3D printed fin cans are allowed for cert flights so make sure they are OK before spending too much time on one.

Tony

While not PETG, I've used ABS for a large 5.5" fin can to repair a LOC Magnum. 40+ hour print for the can and around 16 for each fin. Infill was 60% for the can and 40% for the fins reticular pattern, 3 outer walls. My printer wasn't quite large enough for the entire fin can so I had to design something modular.

ABS was strong enough to handle a K550 with 3 H135 airstarts so far. But I guess I was more concerned with possible damage during recovery but no damage occured.

Can1.jpg
Can2.jpg
Can3.jpg
Mag.jpg

Nice fin can, from thingiverse or your own design? I would like to print something similar.

Nice fin can, from thingiverse or your own design? I would like to print something similar.

My own design using Alibre Atom. Pretty specific to my need with the Magnum. There’s quite a few good ones on Thingiverse and elsewhere. IIRC there’s one that allows you to custom create your own fin can.

I’d be happy to share the .stl for mine but realize it may take some tweaking to fit your situation.

No problem. I liked modular design and option to just slide fins in. But I will need something more parametric. Will check thingiverse for something similar.

Back