3D Printed File for 75mm Electronics Bay with a Quasar and RRC3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeQuarks

Reaction score
Does anyone have a 3d file for an Eggtimer Quasar and a Missileworks RRC3 75mm altimeter sled? If necessary I can do it myself, I was just curious if anyone had already made one. I am in charge of avionics for my high school rocket, so any other suggestions are helpful as well.

I'm in the same boat so I hope someone has some designs to share. The one I'm working on is very basic to hold two LiPo's on one side and the Alt's on the other. It basically looks like what you would make out of wood as I seem to not think "out of the box" when I'm doing designs in Fusion360 lol.

The best thing you can do is make the design and share it. Pay it forward by sharing.

I did find this one on printables.com that I thought was pretty good. I really like the minimalistic approach of this design.

Eggtimer Quasar Electronics Bay Sled

I'd just have to adjust it to have a second side for the RRC3.

RRC3 is long and ungangly compared to Eggtimer, and recommended with 9V. Depending on length of your bay, put RRC3 and battery and one slide, then Quantum and battery on the other. I did a dual RRC3 in 3" can, 7" in length, with the RRC3 vertical on one side, and then two 9vs on the backside with a shelf for a pull pin switches.

And gotta have a switch for that RRC3 unlike the Quantum

I've been using EasyMinis as of late. However, I've had a few iterations of my sled design. Maybe some ideas for your sled design in these.
EasyMini, StratoLogger, lipos and switch 2 versions of this one. Made one for a friend of mine.
EasyMini x2 with lipos and switch latest published version.

My latest iteration has the same hardware as the latest published version above. The difference is that the new sled will fit inside a 38mm coupler. I then designed an adapter to get the same small sled to fit in my 3inch and larger diameter rocket AV bays. Once I use the new designs this weekend, assuming no adjustments need to be made, I'll get those posted on printables as well. Whenever I can get a Telemetrum, I'll be updating my sled again.

RRC3 is long and ungangly compared to Eggtimer, and recommended with 9V. Depending on length of your bay, put RRC3 and battery and one slide, then Quantum and battery on the other. I did a dual RRC3 in 3" can, 7" in length, with the RRC3 vertical on one side, and then two 9vs on the backside with a shelf for a pull pin switches.

And gotta have a switch for that RRC3 unlike the Quantum

While the Qunatum doesn't NEED a switch, I put a switch on everything. Especially since when I go for my L3 switches are mandatory.

I did find this one on printables.com that I thought was pretty good. I really like the minimalistic approach of this design.

Eggtimer Quasar Electronics Bay Sled

I'd just have to adjust it to have a second side for the RRC3.
That looks like it might be a good sled for HED, but without an end to end threaded rod to handle the shock cord stresses pulling on both ends of the av-bay, I'm not sure it would stand up to a typical mid mount av-bay setup.

What size allthread should I use? I am thinking about 8-32 SS, but I am looking at it again and it feels way to small.
For 2.6" and 3in (75mm) diameter rockets (I don't have any dual deploy rockets smaller than that right now), I've been using 10-24 (3/16"). 8-32 probably would work, but I'd be concerned about it as well.
Bigger than that, I use 1/4-20.

Your design looks just fine. Especially for your first iteration, I recommend keeping things simple. As you iterate, you'll have more ideas to make it better. Often times those ideas don't come until you use it a few times.

Here is an updated design of mine, I still need to add batteries and a few other things. https://a360.co/3HEwtry
I really like that design. Clean and simple. What are you going to use to hold the batteries in place once you slide them into the holders? Also, just a suggestion. On the mounting studs for the Alts, you may want to add chamfers to them to give them better mechanical strength where they attach to the base of the sled.

An excellent way to go in the future for 3-8 inches rockets would be a sled with altimeter adaptors so that you could use any altimeter. This way, you design is not locked to one brand or the other.

I have often thought we should develop a community effort to design something like this. We have the creativity, expertise, and capability to make something really special.

I really like that design. Clean and simple. What are you going to use to hold the batteries in place once you slide them into the holders? Also, just a suggestion. On the mounting studs for the Alts, you may want to add chamfers to them to give them better mechanical strength where they attach to the base of the sled.
If you look again, I think the design should be updated. The large red block is this battery: https://www.hobbytown.com/protek-rc-2s-supreme-power-lipo-25c-battery-7.4v-850mah-ptk-5178/p37322. It seems like it will work well for the quasar. I will add those chamfers, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
An excellent way to go in the future for 3-8 inches rockets would be a sled with altimeter adaptors so that you could use any altimeter. This way, you design is not locked to one brand or the other.
I have seen one that fits into a cutout on another sled and then aluminum bars fit over it. It works well. It only works with a stratologger and RRC3 though. It can work with multitasking le diameters, just not multiple altimeters.

https://a360.co/3HEwtry
Should I take out the large holding bracket and replace it with some zip tie holes? It will probably make it more versatile, but less structural.

The flat area behind the battery will be for the double pull pin switch from LabRat Rocketry.
The other area is for the 9V to power the RRC3.

https://a360.co/3HEwtry
Should I take out the large holding bracket and replace it with some zip tie holes? It will probably make it more versatile, but less structural.

The flat area behind the battery will be for the double pull pin switch from LabRat Rocketry.
The other area is for the 9V to power the RRC3.

Personally I liked the previous design better for holding the battery in place. Both designs though need something to keep the batteries from sliding front to back during acceleration. I was thinking maybe a plate that slides on the end of the sled on the all-thread before putting on the nut and lock washer.

The road I was going down was to make specific battery compartments with a lid that is screwed on.

https://a360.co/3RfaRp6

Personally I liked the previous design better for holding the battery in place. Both designs though need something to keep the batteries from sliding front to back during acceleration. I was thinking maybe a plate that slides on the end of the sled on the all-thread before putting on the nut and lock washer.

The road I was going down was to make specific battery compartments with a lid that is screwed on.

https://a360.co/3RfaRp6
I think that if you look again it should be better. I cut trenches through the sled for the zipties, and made the switch have a plate. The lipo will be used for the quasar, and a separate holder will be purchased for the 9V. I am thinking about the 9V holder from LOC, and will design holes into the sled for it.

I have often thought we should develop a community effort to design something like this. We have the creativity, expertise, and capability to make something really special.

Something like that? I can print out any number of different altimeter adapter plates to bolt in, except really long ones like RRC3.

PXL_20230119_194538956.jpg

Not every one wants the same thing, or approaches it in the same manner.

Something like that? I can print out any number of different altimeter adapter plates to bolt in, except really long ones like RRC3.

View attachment 560429

That looks really cool. I don't use that big a variety of altimeters, but that would be really useful for some of the 3d printed bays available on the forum. Maybe a stratologger to quantum converter or something we it screws into the stratologger standoffs and provides quantum standoffs.

View attachment 560429

That is exactly what I was talking about. I would probably add a way to add different switches too.

That is exactly what I was talking about. I would probably add a way to add different switches too.
Well, thats where it gets into more of more of packaging exercise. And different needs, depending on different altimeters.

Or something like this which is based on a few other design I saw, incl. someone posting one recently like this. Its probably heavier, but certainly has more surface area for mounting both inside and out.

1675193751085.png

Well, thats where it gets into more of more of packaging exercise. And different needs, depending on different altimeters.

Or something like this which is based on a few other design I saw, incl. someone posting one recently like this. Its probably heavier, but certainly has more surface area for mounting both inside and out.

View attachment 560619

That looks like something that BP Space did for some of his rockets.

Back