3D Printing 3D Printed Ejection Canisters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Ok, I am printing these as test prints with new filaments. Post your designs. I am going to post mine later this weekend with some test videos.

Ok, I spent this am test 3d Printed ejection charge canisters up to 8 grams. 1, 2, 4, and 8 gram all survived black powder. They did not splinter or crack and PLA, PETG, and ABS al worked. I will post images and files this week. The bottom line, cheap PLA works as well as the exotics.

After a total of 24 tests - 6 each size. Outside of losing a few, all that were found survived.

Ok, I spent this am test 3d Printed ejection charge canisters up to 8 grams. 1, 2, 4, and 8 gram all survived black powder. They did not splinter or crack and PLA, PETG, and ABS al worked. I will post images and files this week. The bottom line, cheap PLA works as well as the exotics.

Out of curiousity, what volume are you using per gram of 4F? I was designing around 1gram/cm^3 (best I could find online) but wouldn't mind a voice of experience.

Thanks

Ok, test number 2 starts today. I am loading ejection charge canisters. I am going with 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12-gram containers. I designed lids out of TPU but will not be testing them this week. I bought a vice to hold the container but it might be better to just add a screw to the holder and screw them in like I would on a rocket.

Back