3D Printable Component Generators

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to use this thread to post the component generator software that I've developed in the past few years, starting with what I've just posted to Thingiverse:

CONFIGURABLE FIN CAN
Configurable Fin Can OpenSCAD.JPG

This Thing is an OpenSCAD file that can be used to create a user-defined custom Fin Can that may be printed for use in building a model rocket. I haven't had a lot of time to fiddle with this myself, so there are probably a lot of possible improvements - I'm counting on you guys to provide suggestions and feedback, especially for any problems you encounter.

This file requires that the user download and install the OpenSCAD program (free, see www.OpenSCAD.org), and configure it to use the OpenSCAD customizer. Instructions for this are contained in the sections below.

With OpenSCAD installed and configured, the user may open the "Configurable Fin Can.scad" file and use the controls found there to adjust the dimensions of the Fin Can as desired. The many detailed dimensions available allow a wide variety of possible fin designs.

My other model rocket component generators:
Model Rocket Transition Section Generator
Model Rocket Fin Can - Trapezoidal Fins - Configurable

Installing and Configuring OpenSCAD for use with the OpenSCAD Customizer
This "Configurable Fin Can.scad" file has been created with the intention to use the OpenSCAD 'Customizer', which allows the use of Windows-style selection tools to set parameters of the component. The use of this feature requires the following steps:

1. You must be using the OpenScad 'Development Snapshot' version, available at: https://www.openscad.org/downloads.html Scroll down to Development Snapshots, download and install version OperSCAD 2018.09.05 or later.
  2. Download and open this file, "Configurable Fin Can.scad" with OpenSCAD.
  3. In the OpenSCAD [Edit] menu, select [Preferences] then open tab [Features], check [Customizer], then close the window when the check is shown.
  4. In the OpenSCAD [View] menu, uncheck the option [Hide Customizer]. The Customizer window should open at the right side of the screen.
  5. At the top of the Customizer window, check 'Automatic Preview' and select 'Show Details' in the dropdown box.

Configuring a Fin Can
The following dimensions are available for adjustment by opening the appropriate tab in the customizer window, and then adjusting the slider control, clicking the spinbox, or clicking the box and entering a value by keyboard.

I recommend that you adjust the controls gently at first, until you become familiar with their effect - it's easy to wildly come up with an 'impossible' figure that may be difficult to back out.

• The Fin Can body is defined by:
  1. The diameter of the tube it fits over, and the wall thickness of the fin can. The body diameter is selected by standard body tube sizes, and a fine tube diameter adjustment is provided to permit achieving a close slip fit over the selected tube.
  2. The overall length, including forward and aft tube bevels, if any.
  3. The length of the forward and aft bevels, if any.
  • In addition to the number of fins and the fin span, the fins are defined by three parts.
  1. The center panel.
  2. The leading edge, including the forward strake, if any.
  3. The trailing edge, including the aft strake, if any.
  • The center panel is defined by:
  1. The root chord and thickness of the center panel, and the height above the base of the tube. This sets the vertical placement of all fin elements on the tube.
  2. The tip chord and thickness of the tip panel, the span, and the sweep distance of this tip relative to the root element. The thickness of the root and tip defines the root-to-tip taper of the fin. The span is measured from the inner diameter of the can tube.
  3. The tip rake. The rake will trim the leading and trailing edges as well.
  • The leading edge is defined by:
  1. The leading edge root chord; this is the distance that the leading edge extends forward of the center panel at the root.
  2. The leading edge tip chord; this is the distance that the leading edge extends forward of the center panel at the tip.
  3. The leading edge radius.
  4. The forward strake chord and span. The chord is the distance that the strake extends forward of the center panel at the root. The edge of the strake shares the same radius as the leading edge.
  • The trailing edge is defined by:
  1. The trailing edge root chord; this is the distance that the trailing edge extends aft from the center panel at the root.
  2. The trailing edge tip chord; this is the distance that the trailing edge extends aft from the center panel at the tip.
  3. The trailing edge radius.
  4. The aft strake chord and span. The chord is the distance that the strake extends aft of the center panel at the root. The edge of the strake shares the same radius as the trailing edge.

Saving your work:
  1. At the top of the customizer window, pressing '+' will open a dialog box to name a new parameter set. This set name will be displayed to the left of the '+', and will contain all of the current parameters.
  2. To update the set with new parameters, press 'save preset'.
  3. Multiple sets may be saved by adding a new set name; sets are selected with the dropdown box.
  4. The parameter sets have been saved in a file with the same name as the source file, "Configurable Fin Can" and with the extension ".json". This file is loaded when the "Configurable Fin Can.scad" file is opened.
  5. Using the [File/Save] menu operation, the source file could be saved with a completely new .scad filename, e.g., "BT50 FinCans.scad". An associated .json file would then be saved with the name "BT50 FinCans.json".
  6. Clicking the 'reset' button at the top of the customizer window will reset the parameters to those of a common fin can contained within the source code. This is a good place to start if you get lost when fiddling with parameters.

Additional Notes:

• It's certain that I haven't anticipated all fin configurations that may be desired. Please let me know about any configurations that don't work. You may contact me by leaving a comment or message on Thingiverse; by a post or message to vcp on TRF or YORF, or by email to [email protected]
  • No fillets are available in this version. That's something I'll be working on.
  • Note that there is no guarantee that what you configure will be printable, or suitable for any model rocket application. Use proper design rules and caution when designing a model rocket.
  • Also note, that each 'panel' of the fin is effectively defined by four points, and four points might not lie in a single plane. When this is the case, you will notice a diagonal 'break' line in the panel. If you don't want this line, you will need to adjust the panel root/tip chords until this break line disappears.
  • These instructions are also in the text of the OpenSCAD file, which appears in the Editor window. If you are comfortable with these instructions, then in the [View] menu, you can check the option [Hide editor], which will allow the full screen to view the model.
  • The bottom 'Console' window will display some of the primary dimensions of the displayed Fin Can. If you'd rather have more room to display the model, in the [View] menu, you can also check to [Hide Console].

Creating an .stl File from OpenSCAD

When you are satisfied with your Fin Can design, you can create an .stl file from OpenSCAD with the following steps:

1. Render the file by selecting the menu item [Design/Render], or pressing the F6 key. Note that it may take some time to render, depending upon your computer.
  2. Save the .stl by selecting the menu item [File/Export/Export as STL...].

Rename the attached file "Configurable Fin Can.txt" to be "Configurable Fin Can.scad" to open it with OpenSCAD. (I thought .scad extensions were allowed now, but it doesn't seem to go at the moment.) Or get it from Thingiverse.

Attachments

• Configurable Fin Can.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 187
TRANSITION SECTION GENERATOR

This Thing is an OpenSCAD Customizer file (note, not Thingiverse Customizer) that will generate a 3D printable model rocket transition component. This OpenSCAD file has a wealth of features that allow a great variety of transitions to be created.

transition.JPG

FEATURES:
  • Conventional upper and lower shoulders.
  • Optional inset smooth shock chord attachment point.
  • Optional center holes for screw attachment.
  • Optional ducted through version for gas flow or weight reduction.
  • Optional cylindrical sections above or below the transition.
  • Optional tube 'socket' instead of shoulder on smaller diameter end.
  • Optional shoulder edge bevel.
  • Available print support for transition/shoulder rim.
  • Available cross-section or 3/4 views to view internal structure for development.

Instructions for installing OpenSCAD and configuring it for Customizer use are detailed in the previous post. Unlike the fin can, the dimensions and controls used for this are pretty straightforward and shouldn't need further elaboration. I'll gladly answer any questions that you have. Also, like the fin can, please let me know if there are any problems, and I'd be glad to take suggestions for improvements.

Rename the attached file to open it in OpenSCAD or get it from Thingiverse.

Attachments

• Transition Conical Shoulder Customizer V2.txt
    25.5 KB · Views: 98
Trapezoidal Fin Can - Configurable

FinCanTrapV2.JPG

Unlike the Fin Can generator posted above this one is limited to a simple trapezoidal fin can without strakes or a tip rake. The major differences are that this one includes nice fillets and is much simpler to configure. A couple of dozen pre-configured examples are available on Thingiverse.

This has also been adapted to use the OpenSCAD Customizer. Instructions for installation and configuration are detailed in the previous posts above.

The basic fin shape is fixed - a trapezoidal planform with spanwise taper and tapered leading and trailing edges. Fully filleted.

The options you have for altering it are to change the fin span and root chord. You can also choose to include a filleted 1/8" launch lug in a fin root. You also have the choice of any number of fins, though 3 through about 12 is the practical range (though it also allows 1 and 2).

The basic fin can is intended for a 24mm body tube, which also has a single fin span of about 40mm and a fin root chord of 100mm. You can shrink or enlarge the span by a scale factor, and likewise shorten or lengthen the root chord (and the overall can length) with another independent scale factor. Practical values of scaling are from about 0.5 to 2.0. Note that the fin thickness does not scale.

There is also the option to scale all of it, up from a 24mm tube to a 29mm tube. One of the fin cans in the included photos is a 29mm upscale that fits very well. A scale factor is included for a 38mm tube, but you're on your own, I haven't tried it. Note that the launch lug, if used, scales by the same factor, so the 1/8" @ 24mm lug will be 1/8 x 29/24 on the 29mm tube - probably not practical.

Once again, I'd love to hear feedback from anyone using this.

Rename the attached .txt file to .scad to open it with OpenSCAD.

Attachments

• FinCanTrapV2.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 98
Thank you. You may have inspired me to actually unbox the printer I bought and set in my garage over 3 months ago.

CONFIGURABLE CENTERING / CLUSTER RING GENERATOR

The OpenSCAD Customizer was ripe for a centering ring generator, so here we go: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3145280

CenterRing1.JPG

• Features:
    • Generates .stl files for printing, or .dxf for laser cutting or CNC routing.
    • Selectable outer diameter from dropdown box of standard tube sizes, or specify exact diameter.
    • Adjustable ring thickness.
    • Up to eight 'rings' of motor tubes or mounting holes, diameters selected from dropdown boxes of standard tube sizes, or specify exact diameters.
      • Selectable number of tubes in each ring.
      • Adjustable center offset and rotation for each ring.
      • Optional center cross-hair for each tube cutout.
    • Up to three 'rings' of fin slots.
      • Selectable number of slots in each ring.
      • Adjustable width and depth of each slot ring.
      • Adjustable rotation of each slot ring.
    • The position of each feature is printed in the console window in polar and cartesian coordinates. (The console window is turned on/off in the [View] menu.)
  • This OpenSCAD file must use the OpenSCAD Customizer. See the instructions for Customizer use posted earlier in this thread or in the Thingiverse Thing.

USING THE CENTERING RING GENERATOR
IMPORTANT: In the 'Ring Thickness' Tab, do not select 'DXF' until you have finished your design. Designing in the DXF mode will unacceptably slow down the posting of changes to the design, unless you have a very fast computer.

• Ring Thickness Tab:
    1. Use the slider or entry box to enter a thickness. This is only necessary if you intend to generate an .stl file for 3D printing.
    2. 'Smoothness' may be adjusted lower to speed the display generation, or higher to result in a smoother outline. You can design in a coarse smoothness, and adjust it higher when the design is finalized.
    3. As noted above, leave the DXF box unchecked until and if you intend to generate a DXF file
  • Outer Tube Dimensions Tab
    1. Use the dropdown box to select the Inner Diameter of a standard tube size, or set it to 'use specified value' and enter an ID value with the slider or entry box below the dropdown box. Either of those diameters may be adjusted up to +/- 5% with the next slider/box, as necessary to fine adjust the print/cut to your tube size. (Note that this is not intended to adjust for the laser or routing kerf, which should be done in your CAM program.)
    2. Center cross-hair may be selected, however this won't appear unless there is a void in the center. (You might use one of the tube rings to create a void if you really want to see the cross-hair.)
  • Hole Set Ring Dimensions Tab
    1. You can enter up to eight ring sets. Yeah, that's more than you'd ever use, but you can use the extra sets to enter single mounting holes that you might want for shock cord or motor retention mounts.
    2. Select the number of 'tubes' (holes) that will be in this ring. It's ok to just have a single hole in a 'ring'.
    3. Use the dropdown box to select the Outer Diameter of a standard tube size, or set it to 'use specified value' and enter an OD value with the slider or entry box below the dropdown box. Either of those diameters may be adjusted up to +/- 5% with the next slider/box, as necessary to fine adjust the print/cut to your tube size. (Note that this is not intended to adjust for the laser or routing kerf, which should be done in your CAM program.)
    4. Use the slider/entry box to input a value for the offset of the center of the ring tube(s) from the center. If this is a central tube, an offset of zero is acceptable.
    5. Use the slider/entry box to input a rotation value for the ring set. The first tube of a set will be offset in the positive 'x' direction, and rotation is clockwise from that point.
    6. Use the checkbox to place a center cross-hair at each tube. (Note that these cross-hairs are for reference only; you probably want them off for 3D printing, and you will probably delete them in your CAM program before laser cutting or routing.)
    7. Repeat steps 4-8 for each set of tube rings or mounting holes.
  • Fin Slot Set Dimensions Tab
    1. Fin slots are also entered in sets of 'rings'. Use the dropdown box to select the number of slots in a ring.
    2. Use the slider/entry boxes to input values for slot width and depth. Depth of a slot is measured inwards from the outside of the outer ring.
    3. Repeat steps 10-11 for up to three sets of slot rings.
  • To Output a 3D Print .STL File
    1. Under the 'Ring Thickness' Tab, do not check the 'DXF' checkbox.
    2. Render the design using the [Design/Render] menu item or press F6.
    3. Generate the .stl file using the [File/Export/Export as STL..] menu item.
  • To Output a DXF File
    1. Under the 'Ring Thickness' Tab, select the 'DXF' checkbox. It may take 10-30 seconds to generate the 2D projection of the design.
    2. Render the design using the [Design/Render] menu item or press F6.
    3. Generate the .dxf file using the [File/Export/Export as DXF..] menu item.
CenterRing4.JPG

Attached .TXT file must be renamed to the extension .scad to be opened in OpenSCAD.

Attachments

• Configurable Centering Ring.TXT
    55.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Upcoming OpenSCAD Customizer Configurator Widgets:

Fin Alignment Guides -
Fin/Motor Unit versions of the above fin cans
Fin Cans and Fin/Motor Units with different fin shapes
Focus Thrust Cluster Rings -
Nose Cones, of course...
Shrouds
Other suggestions, requests?

That is a nice start. How hard would it be to do an AV sled?

That is a nice start. How hard would it be to do an AV sled?

I suspect a sled customizer would certainly be possible, unfortunately, I have zero experience with sleds and no knowledge of the hole patterns of the gadgets that would mount on them. So its probably going to be up to someone else to produce a sled customizer.

Since all of the stuff in this thread is on Thingiverse, I thought I might share the collections of Thingiverse Things that I have... collected:

Collection of my model-rocketry things:
https://www.thingiverse.com/garyacrowellsr/collections/model-rockets-vcp

Collection of all the model-rocketry related Things I've found:
https://www.thingiverse.com/garyacrowellsr/collections/model-rockets

Collection of all the SpaceX Things:
https://www.thingiverse.com/garyacrowellsr/collections/spacex

Collection of all other non-fiction Space related Things:
https://www.thingiverse.com/garyacrowellsr/collections/space-fact

And finally, here is the collection of all my collections; over 100. Since the beginning of Thingiverse, I've paged through every item ever posted. Of course, these are just things that interest me, but you might find something there that interests you too:
https://www.thingiverse.com/garyacrowellsr/collections

There are also my 3D print related threads on TRF:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/a-3d-printed-naram.147578/
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/nike-hercules-cad-model-build.144957/
... and I'll be adding to both of these real soon now.

THESE.
ARE.
AWESOME!!!! :D

One for the request line: parametric engine bell/nozzle (not functional, of course, just decorative)

Can't wait to see what you can do for Nose cones!

This Thing is an OpenSCAD Customizer file (note, not Thingiverse Customizer) that will generate a 3D printable model rocket transition component. This OpenSCAD file has a wealth of features that allow a great variety of transitions to be created.

View attachment 363019

FEATURES:
  • Available cross-section or 3/4 views to view internal structure for development.

Instructions for installing OpenSCAD and configuring it for Customizer use are detailed in the previous post. Unlike the fin can, the dimensions and controls used for this are pretty straightforward and shouldn't need further elaboration. I'll gladly answer any questions that you have. Also, like the fin can, please let me know if there are any problems, and I'd be glad to take suggestions for improvements.

I'm having some trouble with this one...maybe I'm misunderstanding the terms.
Upper diameter is the ID of the upper tube?
Upper shoulder diameter is (I thought) the OD of the upper tube, so the tube and the transition interface smoothly...however, when I set the Upper shoudler diameter to anything greater than Upper Diameter, I end up with a plate on top of the transition, such as this (exaggerated for clarity):

View attachment 363019

FEATURES:

I'm having a hard time with this one...might be my misunderstanding of the terms, but could use some help. Example attached- I entered the ID of my upper tube as the Upper_Transition_Diameter, and assumed the Upper_shoulder_dia would be the OD of the upper tube, so the two meet flush. However, if I put anything > Upper_Transition_Dia, I end up with a hat on the transition, like this: (exaggerated for clarity).

Same goes for the other side...

Attachments

• Transition section parametric SCAD.PNG
    Transition section parametric SCAD.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 151
I'm having a hard time with this one...might be my misunderstanding of the terms, but could use some help. Example attached- I entered the ID of my upper tube as the Upper_Transition_Diameter, and assumed the Upper_shoulder_dia would be the OD of the upper tube, so the two meet flush. However, if I put anything > Upper_Transition_Dia, I end up with a hat on the transition, like this: (exaggerated for clarity).
Same goes for the other side...

Hi Dave, sorry I didn't see your post earlier - haven't visited this thread in a while. Sorry for the confusion - I'm glad you mentioned it since it's always to easy for me to assume the definitions are obvious whey they may really be ambiguous. I'm using the terms just the opposite as how you've taken them: the shoulder diameter is the end that goes inside the tube, i.e., the ID of the tube, and the transition diameter is the diameter that matches the OD of the tube. I think I've got some diagrams here somewhere that I'll try to post.

CONFIGURABLE FIN GUIDE

Fin Guide.JPG

Fin positioning guides like this are not new, but it was done in a nice printed implementation by Dave Juliano in this thread on TRF:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/3d-printer-plunge.146985/page-4

I liked it, so I stole it, with the OpenSCAD Customizer implementation here.

Usage is pretty much self-explanatory, and the best way to figure it out is just to play around with the slider controls a bit. See the blurb below, if you haven't used the Customizer before.

One difference I've made from the original is the addition of an optional flange at the 'fin tips' of the guide, where I think there might be a weakness. Also, since the sections are only held together by a small web, I've included the option to thicken this web, though it might interfere with the placement of the guide. I'm not in a building or printing mode at the moment, so I'd appreciate any feedback on how well this does/doesn't work.

The attached 'Fin Guide.TXT' file needs to be renamed to 'Fin Guide.scad' to use it with OpenSCAD.

====================== OpenSCAD Customizer ======================================
This file has been created with the intention to use the OpenSCAD 'Customizer', which allows
the use of Windows-style selection tools to set parameters of the component. The use of this
feature requires the following steps:

1. You must be using the OpenScad 'Development Snapshot' version, available at:
https://www.openscad.org/downloads.html
Scroll down to Development Snapshots, use version OperSCAD 2018.09.05 or later.

2. Open this file with OpenSCAD.

3. In the OpenSCAD [Edit] menu, select [Preferences] then open tab [Features], check
[Customizer], then close the window when the check is shown.

4. In the OpenSCAD [View] menu, uncheck the option [Hide Customizer]. The Customizer
window should open at the right side of the screen.

5. At the top of the Customizer window, check 'Automatic Preview' and select 'Show Details'
in the dropdown box.

6. If you are comfortable with the instructions above, then also in the [View] menu, you can
check the option [Hide editor], which will allow the full screen to view the model. You
can also check to [Hide Console].

Attachments

• Fin Guide.TXT
    7.4 KB · Views: 113
https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/grou...19046&ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment_reply

Allen came up with the idea and I drew it up and printed a few. Looks like they work pretty well and are easy to print. I’m not experienced with OpenSCAD, but it’s a design that would benefit from a customizer program, for sure.

That'll be an excellent application for the Customizer. I've made a start on it and it shouldn't take long. It'll be fully configurable and I'm adding a few features that you normally wouldn't bother with in a one-off. Watch this space.

I've made a simple and interesting change to the Configurable Fin Can. I've added the ability to add a cant to the fins. This will, of course, impart a spin to the rocket. The neet part of this is that the printed cant will be very precise and repeatable.

I'm sure it has been done before, but it suggests an experiment where someone prints otherwise identical cans with varying degrees of fin cant, and compares the resulting model flights. The difference from earlier experiments is that you can accurately add cants in fractions of a degree, allowing comparisons of say, 0.6 vs 0.8 degree. How does the roll rate vary with the cant? With the roll rate instrumented and recorded flight data, you could see how roll rate varies with velocity. How does it affect altitude? doot doot doot...

Fin Can Cant.JPG

Attachments

• Configurable Fin Can v1.1.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Two generations of OR from now, I dream that your SCAD customizers would be built in.

Model, print complex components, add stock tubes & CRs.

A fella' can dream, anyway.

Drill Guide.JPG CONFIGURABLE TUBE DRILL GUIDE

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/grou...19046&ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment_reply

Allen came up with the idea and I drew it up and printed a few. Looks like they work pretty well and are easy to print. I’m not experienced with OpenSCAD, but it’s a design that would benefit from a customizer program, for sure.

You say it there, it comes out here...

A printed drill guide can be a simple thing to do a one-off, but doing it as a configurable item, I had to add some whistles and bells. The drill guide presented here as an OpenSCAD Customizer item incorporates the following features:

1. Variable from 1-12 radial drill holes.

2. Tube size selectable from a menu of standard tube sizes (with a factor for fine adjustment).

3. Adjustable length and diameter of the guide body.

4. Drill size selectable from a menu of fractional-inch drills in 1/32 inch increments. While printed holes (especially small ones) are often undersized, there is no provision for adjusting the size, 'cause hey, you're going to run a drill through them anyway. Right?

5. At each radial position, up to three drills can be placed in a longitudinal line, independently positionable on the guide.

6. Optional, adjustable size slots that can be used, for example, with a piece of aluminum angle to align multiple guides on a tube.

7. Optional, adjustable size flange that should be useful to tape or clamp the guide to the tube.

8. Optional slots in the tape flange that can be used to visually align the guide to a mark(s) on the tube.

Usage is pretty much self-explanatory, and the best way to figure it out is just to play around with the slider controls a bit. See the blurb in the source code header (or earlier in this thread) for details on how to set-up the OpenSCAD Customizer.

Note that the attached .txt file needs to be renamed to the extension .scad to be opened by OpenSCAD.

Gary A. Crowell Sr. (vcp)

Attachments

• Tube Drill Guide.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 132
I was just thinking about how I needed a drill guide like this! Thanks.

It there an open source project where I could contribute to this effort - or docs on how to integrate with that GUI based customizer?

I have a large collection of parametric openscad parts I’d be willing to update and contribute... Nose cones, couplers, lugs, rail guides, avionics bays, threaded retainers... Everything but the body tubes...

It there an open source project where I could contribute to this effort - or docs on how to integrate with that GUI based customizer?

I have a large collection of parametric openscad parts I’d be willing to update and contribute... Nose cones, couplers, lugs, rail guides, avionics bays, threaded retainers... Everything but the body tubes...

Open-source project, coordination? Nothing that I'm aware of. 3D printing was nixed as a separate forum item here. Best I can suggest is to post your stuff. You're welcome in this thread or start your own. Thingiverse collections are useful. (Do you have Things there?) There is/was a Model Rocket Repository on an open OneDrive (or something) that had some OpenSCAD parts. I think it's still there, but it's been pretty much ignored.

The OpenSCAD Customizer is poorly documented and not easy to find. I started this because I came across it by accident after following a hint in a post on the OpenSCAD mail list. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/WIP#Customizer

There is just enough there to figure it out, but there are lots of gotcha's - sometimes highly dependent upon minor text formatting. I wish there were a way to get the customizer window formatted better. Overall though, if your parts are already parametric, it should be pretty easy to convert to the Customizer. My code is mostly horrible hacks, but the customizer part at the front should be pretty easy-to-follow examples.

Gary - I ordered a Prusa Mk3 last week and am anxiously awaiting it. In the meantime I've been playing with your files in OpenScad. I really like the fin guide but I was wondering if there is a way to modify it as shown in the image below. Since I'm new to all this I haven't yet done any modeling yet (the example is just an Illustrator extrusion). I've used regular flat fin alignment guides and have always had to 'chamfer' the inside so that the guide is not glued to the fin.

I'm really looking forward to printing out some fin cans with your files, thanks for taking the time to share all your stuff.

Tony

(PS - VCP was a super useful tool, used it to print out many alignment guides, so it's really cool to have a 21st century version of it.)

fin-guide.gif

Gary - I ordered a Prusa Mk3 last week and am anxiously awaiting it. In the meantime I've been playing with your files in OpenScad. I really like the fin guide but I was wondering if there is a way to modify it as shown in the image below. Since I'm new to all this I haven't yet done any modeling yet (the example is just an Illustrator extrusion). I've used regular flat fin alignment guides and have always had to 'chamfer' the inside so that the guide is not glued to the fin.

I'm really looking forward to printing out some fin cans with your files, thanks for taking the time to share all your stuff.

Tony

(PS - VCP was a super useful tool, used it to print out many alignment guides, so it's really cool to have a 21st century version of it.)

View attachment 367877
I've considered that exact thing and it's on the list. I'm off on other projects at the moment, but when I get back to the component generators that's one of the things I'll work on.

I've considered that exact thing and it's on the list. I'm off on other projects at the moment, but when I get back to the component generators that's one of the things I'll work on.
Thank you for the reply, I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime one of the guys in my group was just saying the other day he wished he had a guide to drill holes in tubes. I've been playing with your fin guide file and I've already learned a lot about OpenScad from it. It is one the top of my list of things to print once I get everything up and running. Thanks again for sharing your files not only as a 3D printing resource but also as a learning resource.

Tony

VCP: looks like you've done a lot of useful work here, it's encouraging me to try OpenSCAD. Can any of your fin can designs be modified to insert *into* a body tube (instead of *over* it). Essentially, there would be a tube coupler-like extension, the OD of which would match the ID of the receiving body tube.

Back