3D Printable Component Generators

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it's not your customizers, but the OpenSCAD customizer mechanism that would have to have an export feature that would take the present state and generate stand-alone .scad objects. Maybe, after I get OPenSCAD set up on my daughter's computer while my own is dead, I'll find my way to the right forum to make such a feature request.

Great stuff!
Thanks for sharing it.
I love 3d printing and would love to see more 3d printed rockets online.
Might have to post some myself...

One problem with STLs is it is really an export of triangles so a cylinder is not actually round if you look closely at the STL file
and you can see it in the printed object.
3D printing really does need a better file format but STL is what is used most of the time in part because all CAD software
can export as an STL.

Can the STL resolution be specified? Make the triangles small enough and they're no longer the limiting factor; the STL would then be as good as or better than the printer's capability.

I know that in OpenSCAD you can make the resolution of your surfaces as fine as you like, but don't know if that comes out in the export.

Very true, most of my files have a 'smoothness' variable that allows you to control how coarse the estimation of a circle is - depending upon the complexity of the part and the power of your computer, a high smoothness setting can make it take a while to generate a part. Use a low setting for development and switch to high for a final rendering.

However, it got me wondering if printers could even print curves, or were they always short line segments anyway?** Found this very interesting answer. Turns out that the slicer can detect curves, even the tesselated stl ones, and convert them into gcode G02/G03 curve/circle commands. As that post points out, it then becomes a problem to see if the printer controller hardware/firmware can execute the G02/G03. I'll have to take a look to see what this does on my slicer/printer.

That post is regarding the Simplify3D slicer, but I'd be surprised if most other slicers didn't have a similar feature.

**At a tiny level, everything is just short line segments, but too fine for anyone to worry about.

Can the STL resolution be specified? Make the triangles small enough and they're no longer the limiting factor; the STL would then be as good as or better than the printer's capability.

I know that in OpenSCAD you can make the resolution of your surfaces as fine as you like, but don't know if that comes out in the export.

Most people do go for the best export resolution as they can but the fact remains that a circle is not a circle in an STL file.
Another file format is really needed but at the current state of additive 3d printing for consumers you often post process prints
and for say rocket parts you'll likely sand parts if you want a nice surface.
Though you could just do a simple cleanup and fly the rocket and when parts break just print a new one.
I have printed some nose cones and fins that look pretty decent with a bit of file work on them and would look
really nice with a bit of paint.

Most people do go for the best export resolution as they can but the fact remains that a circle is not a circle in an STL file.
Another file format is really needed...
It's only needed if the current format fails to take full advantage of the printers' capabilities. Steps vs. curves in the files don't matter if that doesn't change the final product. (I'm leaving out the slicer software capability, because I take it as a given that that will keep up with any improvements at the two ends.)

Funny thing about all this is of course, regardless of the model format, is that it all gets boiled down to gcode to get sent to the printer. Gcode language is at least 40 years old, and many of its format features are intended to save file space for use with paper tape.

CONFIGURABLE FIN GUIDE
Fin positioning guides like this are not new, but it was done in a nice printed implementation by Dave Juliano in this thread on TRF:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/3d-printer-plunge.146985/page-4
I liked it, so I stole it, with the OpenSCAD Customizer implementation here.

Thanks for this! It took me a bit to find this post and a bit of fiddling around with the file, but I was able to get this guide printed today.

fin-guide-nike.jpg

cheers - mark

If this one works like the other generators, remember to save the preset. Just saving the .scad doesn’t keep your work.

Is there a configurable conformal rail guide anywhere?

Look on page 2 of this thread- vcp posted several including incremental enhancements.

Look on page 2 of this thread- vcp posted several including incremental enhancements.

I saw standoffs, and backing plates, but no actual rail guides. Am I missing it?

Finally getting around to posting these things on Thingiverse. Boy the text editing for the descriptions on TV is really screwed up. That place is getting worse as they make changes.

The things I just put up are:
Configurable Model Rocket Rail Button Standoffs
Configurable Model Rocket Rail Button Backplate/Nutplate
Configurable Model Rocket Fin Guide

Note that these are currently exactly the same as what's been posted earlier in this thread, so no need to grab them again. But who knows, now that I'm looking at them I might get the urge to improve them or add some new ones. Watch this space.

Anybody done a nose cone generator? That would be another killer tool!

Nose cones are easy to do in Tinkercad. There are Ogive and Parabolic items. Easy to scale. TIP: Always make your cone and shoulders as two parts with the shoulder having a lip to glue inside the cone. You can then get a nice perfect edge on the bottom of the cone with no supports or overhang. and you can more easily attach a shock line mount to the shoulder piece.

These files are for a cone to fit the Clear plastic tube that Cesaroni 29mm reloads come in.
NOTE: For Vase mode version, print in Vase mode only to 136mm, switch to second process at normal mode for the rest to make the tip more solid. Slow your print speed way down for the last 10 layers <20mm/sec. I you have problems doing this, message me for a pre-sliced gCode file. I would need to know your printer type (Bed size, and direct drive or bowden tube hotend)

Attachments

• Altimeter Nose Cone Shoulder.stl
    50.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Altimeter Nose Cone Top Standard Print.stl
    585.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Altimeter Nose Cone Top Vase Mode.stl
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Altimeter Nose Cone Shoulder Solid.stl
    72.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Nose cones are easy to do in Tinkercad. There are Ogive and Parabolic items. Easy to scale. TIP: Always make your cone and shoulders as two parts with the shoulder having a lip to glue inside the cone. You can then get a nice perfect edge on the bottom of the cone with no supports or overhang. and you can more easily attach a shock line mount to the shoulder piece.

These files are for a cone to fit the Clear plastic tube that Cesaroni 29mm reloads come in.
Actually Winston iirc posted a nose cone generator for Openscad, it has gens for Haack, Elliptical, Parabolic, and Ogive iirc. The Haack generator takes FOREVER to render but it does work. The Haack generator when set with an aspect ratio of 4 creates a real close version of the Cherokee-D nosecone, I have printed them in BT55 and BT60 sizes so far.

Actually Winston iirc posted a nose cone generator for Openscad, it has gens for Haack, Elliptical, Parabolic, and Ogive iirc. The Haack generator takes FOREVER to render but it does work. The Haack generator when set with an aspect ratio of 4 creates a real close version of the Cherokee-D nosecone, I have printed them in BT55 and BT60 sizes so far.

I have those openscad scripts...I found that they generate a lot of non-manifold errors...

Is there any interest in rail button backers? This one is PLA. The PETG version just came off of the printer. It'll be epoxied in down at the motor end (LOC Graduator). The curve fits the ID of a 38mm tube. All dimensions are in mm. The square is 25.4mm x 25.4mm, also known as 1" :D

p4015301905-5.jpg

Is there any interest in rail button backers? This one is PLA. The PETG version just came off of the printer. It'll be epoxied in down at the motor end (LOC Graduator). The curve fits the ID of a 38mm tube. All dimensions are in mm. The square is 25.4mm x 25.4mm, also known as 1" :D

p4015301905-5.jpg

Yes

I too would be interested in the rail button backers for 38mm tubing. Looks like you did a good job on the model.

Might you be willing to share an .STL file?

I'd be happy to share the STL and the Fusion 360 file if desired. Maybe someone could make it in OpenCad so the diameter of the rocket could be used to calc the curve. I'm at work but I'll upload today. Maybe around lunch

stl File attached. I'm building a LOC graduator so this is for the ID of a 65mm tube.

Attachments

• Launch Rail Backer 65mm Tube v1.stl
    16.2 KB · Views: 6
Back