3D Print Fin Jig

Discussion in 'Techniques' started by Alan R, Oct 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Oct 11, 2018 #1

Alan R

Alan R

Alan R

I got a little frustrated with my redstone, the fin guide seems to be just a hair off. didn't notice of course until i had 2 fins glued on at 180d - NOT. grrr..

looked for a fin jig online. Mostly too big, too much trouble, too expensive, or not thought out well.

So I took a bit to think about it and designed a quasi-universal fin jig in tinkercad. Designed to fit into an 18mm motor mount, with sleeves for 24 and 29mm. Should work on anything up to a BT-60

I'm sure it will need some tweaking after the first print, but looks good. There's probably lots to know about springy plastic, tolerances, print head size, and a bunch of other stuff.

Now I just need to find a friend with a 3d printer to make it for me to see if it actually works.

Attached Files:

2. Oct 12, 2018 #2

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

Looks nifty.

3. Oct 13, 2018 #3

Alan R

Alan R

Alan R

After some discussion with my wife wherein I pointed out that I would probably need to get several of these and other designs printed before they would actually work, she agreed to let me purchase a small $200 3D printer.

I'm quite sure the deferred costs of that decision are going to be much higher.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018