3D design contest.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am hosting a 3D design and printing contest. I would like to see the product utilized and not just a concept. What should the rules be?

Rules:
  1. It must be your design and not off thingverse etc.
  2. Not just a concept. Show utilization or flight.
  3. Post an image with the part, rocket, jig being used.
  4. Post the 3d file (STLs can be uploaded).
How do I enter?
Entering is easy. Make a design in your favorite design software. Open a thread and post images of the printed final products. Add a description of your design and how it works. Post the STL file. Post images of the product being used.

What is the prize?
This prize is pending. I am awaiting some donations from vendors. Any vendor will get acknowledgment and thanks in the thread. If you want to volunteer a prize, send me a message.
So far:
- 2 custom 3/8 nylon shock cords from Chute Happens Recovery.
- $25 credit and free shipping from Lab Rat Rocketry: www.labratrocketry.com
- $25 credit from SMT Designs: https://www.smtdesigns.com/store

When is the deadline?
1 October is the deadline. If this contest is successful, I will post one every 90 days.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Points for moving parts that don't separate (meaning they included sufficient clearances in the model)

I may have a design or two for this...

Does it have to be rocket related, or is this just for 3D printing in general?

rocketry forum - rocket related... Since I am completely new to having a 3D printer and have no idea yet how to create a item, will watch and learn (to busy with school to devote a lot of time to this) this time.

+1 rocket related
I'm in..

Bonus points for: minimal print time, minimal supports used, based on the complexity of the part, and colour used - I've seen some (and have a) unique colour! (material unimportant.) Wining entries must include STL file, photo of pre & post flight..

Contest should also be item / task specific: design a BT-60 NC, design a non-threaded motor retainer, design a strap-on booster connection, design a fin alignment jig, etc..

I am hosting a 3D design and printing contest. I would like to see the product utilized and not just a concept. What should the rules be?

1. It must be your design and not off thingverse etc.
  2. Not just a concept. Show utilization or flight.
  3. Post an image with the part, rocket, jig being used.
  4. Post the 3d file (STLs can be uploaded).
Any ideas?

I’m interested as well.

Ok, start making your designs. When do you all want to make the deadline?

I did not say it need to be new so you can submit old designs as long as you design it.

1. Click "Post a New Thread".
2. Entitle it: "3D Print Contest: Login Name"
3. Add your information and link back to this thread.

Hi Chuck,

I think I need clarification of the rules.
(1) Is this a contest where the submissions are being judged or just a lottery with a random winner?
(2) If the submissions are being judged, who is doing the judging?
(3) What is the criteria that the submissions are being judged on?
(How would the judges compare a unique nose cone design to a fin jig?)
(Is the criteria based on the uniqueness/difficulty/creativity of the 3D printed part -or- the application of the part in a rocket?)
(4) If this is repeated every 3 months or so, are previous submissions re-entered or is it a one shot opportunity for each entry?

I like looking at what others are doing with 3D prints in rocketry and this is a way to get ideas posted.

Hi Chuck,

I think I need clarification of the rules.
(1) Is this a contest where the submissions are being judged or just a lottery with a random winner?
(2) If the submissions are being judged, who is doing the judging?
(3) What is the criteria that the submissions are being judged on?
(How would the judges compare a unique nose cone design to a fin jig?)
(Is the criteria based on the uniqueness/difficulty/creativity of the 3D printed part -or- the application of the part in a rocket?)
(4) If this is repeated every 3 months or so, are previous submissions re-entered or is it a one shot opportunity for each entry?

Great questions.

1. At the end of the contest: 1 October deadline for submissions. I will post a poll and the forum members will vote on who wins. Each member gets a vote. Simple and easy - most votes wins. There maybe more than one winner based on the number of prizes. I am interested in ideas for how to split up the prizes.
  2. See #1.
  3. I leave this up to the person doing the judging. I will vote on uniqueness, creativity, complexity, and difficulty. It does not have to be a part of a rocket but must pertain to building, flying, or rocketry in general. For example, it could be tool to cut fuel grains or making igniters.
  4. I do not want to stifle creativity, but I want to give people a change to win, so I would say you must change or improve or add to the design significantly for the entry to be reentered in a future contest. I will be the sole person to judge this but I think am I a fair judge of whether something has changed.
Does this clarify enough?

Does anybody have any idea on how to divide up the kitty?
- High power
- mid power
- low power

or

- rocket
- tool / jig
- other

Or just all to one?

Back