3d Design Contest for May

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interest

• Total voters

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Team,

I have an idea for a contest. I have a bunch of orange cardboard tubes that I am going to produce into a kit to sell to raise money for our club. I will send a kit to anyone who designs a part that is used. The parts will be posted in a poll and the forum will choose the winner. Any interest?

Parts:
1. AV Bay
2. Nose Cone
3. Fin Can
4. Rod and Rail guides

Any suggestions?

So you want us to design a product for you?

The bottom line is that I want this to a be a collaborative effort and I am will to give kits away for free to gain assistance. I will not make a dime off of the process myself. I will change the club for the filament to print and the parts I buy at cost. It is just to raise money. I will go in the hole for the ones I give away.

What are the dimensions of the tubes you have available?

length 254mm
diameter 35mm
the wall thickness of 1.56 mm

I have at least 100 of these. I can see using two of them.

I've been 3d-printing airfoil fins for a BT60 Tube for rockets that kids can easily assemble.

I modified that to an OD of 35.2 mm. Here is the public onshape link (you need an .edu or .org account to sign up for free):
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3...bf29b7371bd53b6280/e/7069cdedba874ef365da2714
Attached is the STL file. When printing, you need to lower it by 1mm below the build plate to account for the fact that some small parts extend down below the original fin surface due to the shaping.

The fins are probably a bit big, but the basic design is endlessly tweakable with variables in onshape.

The image is a complete BT60 setup with 3d-printed nose cone, ebay parts, and motor mount. It is actually dual deploy with an eggtimer quantum, but we flew it single deploy several times. It is heavy with the 3d printed motor mount, but perfect for small fields on a D12-3 or D12-5.

Attachments

• 352mmOD_AirfoilFins_RH55mm_TH35mm_HL52mm.stl
    5.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 2020-05-01 11.56.50.jpg
    2020-05-01 11.56.50.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 9
I will take a look and test print tonight. Looks great.

Back