3D Design Contest Entry" AV bay Sled thingie..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
This is my entry for the February (or later?) 3D Printer & Design contest.

This is my avionics sled to fit into my Darkstar Jr. It's a tight fit! it's a 2.1" +tube! (So, the ID of the coupler is much smaller!) and only 8" long.

I wanted to mount my Eggfinder Quantum and Mini GPS Tx, along with each their own battery. And, toss in a switch each..

Version 1 was a compromise, a first look at what I can do. the intent was to make 2, and each are the same. They each have a battery compartment, and holes for mounting either the Mini or the Quantum.

So, I started up Creo, and started with a 'D' circle extrusion. I then just cut away the bits I don't need

it worked, but once I had it in place, and had a flight on it, I wasn't too happy with it. It's obvious, once you get it in your hands, and mounts 'stuff' to it, that some improvements can be made.

Version 1, top, bottom top (other end)
DS_SLED-1.jpg DS_SLED-2.jpg DS_SLED-3.jpg

Attachments

• ds_sled.stl
    167.3 KB · Views: 6
So, I came up with version 2.

version 2 is one piece. I've cut away much more material. I also added provisions for screw switches. And, I printed it in red, as that's the colour of filament we're using at the moment!

The once piece design is less weight do to the "diet" I put it on! and more robust with a bunch of fillets added.. It's also easier to slide on & off eth rods..

I had planned a flight on January, but the weather didn't cooperate. Hopefully February will be the flight for it!

I didn't incorporate any standoffs, as I feel they just add a lot of complexity for printing; needing a massive amounts of supports. I had found a bag of small plastic beads that are perfect standoffs! they fit a 4-40 screw, and stand about 3/12 - 1/8" tall..

("As built & installed" pics comming soon..)

Version 2, top, top, and bottom..
DS_SLED-02-1.jpg DS_SLED-02-1.png DS_SLED-02-2.jpg

Attachments

• ds_sled.stl
    506.4 KB · Views: 11
I will give the a look tonight. I may even print them. I do not have a quantum but may have to order one.

I should toss in a disclaimer: I had the footprint for the Quantum. But not for the Mini. Its mounting is a little off (it has only two holes, diagonally.. so getting a proper measurement was difficult!)

I ended up drilling a new hole for the 'upper' Mini mounting hole, so the Mini sits at about 7-10° off the axis.. (it also allows the mini antenna to be offset from the eyebolt that protrudes into the bay..) Photos (when I post them) will show this.

All holes were tapped afterwards; once printed

yes, Chuck, please do!

I've thought of holes for lots of things! but I only have the Eggfinders at the moment!

If anyone asks, and provides a hole pattern, I can definitely add as needed!

But do note: that adding holes may line up with a void.. I can more easily add to version 1 than to version 2..

I may send your one tonight. I would like to see the Stratologger CF and or Missileworks RRC2+

RRC2+

· Length 58mm (2.28")
· Width 23.5mm (0.925")

Perfectflite SLCF
2.0"L x 0.84"W x 0.5"H

OK, perforated it to fit:
  • Quantum
  • Eggfinder Mini
  • Raven3
  • StratologgerCF
  • RRC2
The hole patterns are mirrored so you can put one of each either top or bottom.. Tap the holes you need! (sized for #4-40)

Chuck, please try & report back! :D

(your printer will definitely 'sing' [make music!] with all the holes!)

DS_SLED-03.jpg

Attachments

• ds_sled-03.stl
    581.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Love the design but I'd suggest smaller hardware. #6 allthread would be your friend. Open up some space and lose some weight at the same time.

Love the design but I'd suggest smaller hardware. #6 allthread would be your friend. Open up some space and lose some weight at the same time.
I had originally thought of #10 all thread.. but it was already drilled & such for the 1/4-20 rod..

Gotcha. Maybe go aluminum for weight savings? I have some from MAC but I've never found it in a store..

Keep this one in your designs. The next 3D printing contest will be an AV bay / sled.

OK, perforated it to fit:
  • Quantum
  • Eggfinder Mini
  • Raven3
  • StratologgerCF
  • RRC2
The hole patterns are mirrored so you can put one of each either top or bottom.. Tap the holes you need! (sized for #4-40)

Chuck, please try & report back! :D

(your printer will definitely 'sing' [make music!] with all the holes!)

View attachment 375394

That looks nice, but wouldn't it be stronger made solid? You could drill holes for your specific devices which would be cleaner. small holes look great on the cad drawing but generally not on the printed part....

That looks nice, but wouldn't it be stronger made solid? You could drill holes for your specific devices which would be cleaner. small holes look great on the cad drawing but generally not on the printed part....
I don't think I quite follow you .. can you elaborate?

You are referring the small holes for the screws? If so, the thought is that the small holes allow easy placement on the part, no measurements or the like. Just tape & go. the holes are small, like .06" or there abouts. Also, this has a 30% infill (mine does, anyways) and that being said, drilling your own holes, You'll then be tapping into a web. the holes have a wall, with 100% coverage, so you'll get a good thread. But, we are talking about small, light components, and tapping into the 30% infill is probably negligible.

I think ease of location / predetermined locations wins out..

This sled is tough. I printed one and if you add the threaded rods, it is more than tough enough for flight.

I don't think I quite follow you .. can you elaborate?

You are referring the small holes for the screws? If so, the thought is that the small holes allow easy placement on the part, no measurements or the like. Just tape & go. the holes are small, like .06" or there abouts. Also, this has a 30% infill (mine does, anyways) and that being said, drilling your own holes, You'll then be tapping into a web. the holes have a wall, with 100% coverage, so you'll get a good thread. But, we are talking about small, light components, and tapping into the 30% infill is probably negligible.

I think ease of location / predetermined locations wins out..
Ok, did not think you were using 30% infill figured 100% in which case the holes would be best printed. I am used to drilling to fit stuff (Non 3d printed) was more a question not a criticism...and I have seen some rather poor looking prints of stuff...I took a basic 3d printing class a week ago and saw some direct examples of printed items. One guy though has tons of Benjamins and has the 3d printer that prints in the liquid gel material which makes fantastic parts and would print your design like it was done in an injection mold!

Back