CAD Software 3D CAD programs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SCP, I would be more than happy and grateful for your help. I will look up doing a zoom thingy and get back to you. Please let me know when the best times are for you. Thanks, Dave.

Thanks, I am wanting to learn it and am trying my best. But some times I just need to walk away and go build on a rocket. Hate to tell you this, but I have never heard of webex. I know everyone for school around here is using zoom, but guess what?? God I am old. Oh yeah that's right I just turned 60 yesterday :)
Just remember, 60 is the new 50. Embrace it...

I just found my DD-214, so I'll be ordering a new ed license for Solidworks on their veteran's program - soon. I see that a new version is available on June first, so I'll wait until then. I ordered a Spacemouse that'll be here tomorrow.

What is a space mouse? Thanks to everyone. When I used the f.3d files I was then able to make the hole. Now how do I turn it into a file I can slice?

What is a space mouse?...
Spacemouse
Many love it, some can't get the hang of it - not for everyone, and it doesn't work with all 3D CAD programs. I got to use one a couple of years ago for a short time and really liked it. Once you get your mind wrapped around it, it's a natural way to move around a 3D object.

Gotta thank all of you that responded. Finally got it. Here are pics of the first part off printer. Thank you. Dave.

Attachments

• soyuz w hole 001.JPG
    soyuz w hole 001.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 12
  • soyuz w hole 002.JPG
    soyuz w hole 002.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 13
  • soyuz w hole 003.JPG
    soyuz w hole 003.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
Spacemouse
Many love it, some can't get the hang of it - not for everyone, and it doesn't work with all 3D CAD programs. I got to use one a couple of years ago for a short time and really liked it. Once you get your mind wrapped around it, it's a natural way to move around a 3D object.

Spacemouse arrived today after a bit of a shipping problem. Just doing the training games as I won't get Solidworks for a few weeks, but I'm loving it! Entirely natural 3D motion and it puts my left hand to useful work. I'm usually a left-hand klutz at anything but this makes it easy.

I've ordered the parts to build this Thing that adds some assignable buttons to the Spacemouse.

I use Alibre. It is very easy to learn. It's also very powerful with a lot of functions that make's drawing even the most complex model a breeze.

thanks for the tip, starting to learn how to use fusion 360

searched youtube and found video of using Origin plugin to export to SVG

is there a better plugin / approach to export svg format?

It doesn't look quite like Fusion. But even if it's not, there's no reason you can't do exactly that in Fusion 360. I am.

Are you 3d printing, or laser cutting? If laser cutting, do you use assembly to create the AVbay innards and use the plugin DXF4Laser or do you just make the 3d model and use the plugin slicer to convert to 3d to 2d?

Alex

been super helpful to use fusion 360, so much easier to design and find interference issues

here is a AV sled i'm working on (camera/altimeters), still on the steep part of the learning curve with the software, definitely have to think about the approach in creating the components in fusion and trying to figure out the ways to align move things around.

found this beginner series on you tube, takes you from the very basic to doing some straight forward pieces, recommend it to others that may be beginners

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR-69_Ukrk6u4gwqacqx-WQ/videos
anyone else know of videos/tutorials that help with what we typically do in rocketry?

I'm focused on laser cutting at the moment, later on will see if i can use the tool for designing 3d printed air-frame components, plywood for AV bays is great for weight savings and simple component assembly

1599033464548.png

All individual parts, have not tried to change colors
The big box is a place holder for a large camera

Been making progress in learning fusion 360, got the AV bay 99% complete, just need to receive one component to finalize the design.

very useful software, would have been doing this in my head without it.

wondering if the software needs a high performance laptop to run, started to get some sluggishness as I added various components.

AV bay and some centering rings for a project

1599191436904.png

Last edited:
Ether, Your av-bay looks great, especially for the short time you've been at it! As far as the laptop, I had a 6-7 year old average laptop and it would get pretty slow as things got ore complex. I recently upgraded to what is essentially a gaming laptop and it runs great, but I don't think you need to go to that length for it to run well. I travel more than half my life, and Fusion is also great for time spent in a hotel. Well worth the investment.

At the start of summer I started learning Fusion 360 to do exactly what you're doing now. It's been a huge advantage to make sure everything fits. Also whether what I'm seeing in my mind will actually work out physically. I've been having a blast with Fusion once I got the hang of it.

Yesterday I printed my first piece (besides the test piece) from my Elegoo Mars Pro SLA printer. It's very rewarding to take something from brain to screen to plastic. Designing for laser cutting is even more difficult and maybe even cooler.

Here's a couple pics of from Fusion and V1.0 of the av-bay. V2.0 will have the battery shelves and thicker O-ring that's reflected in the fusion pic.

Longest Loki Av-tree Ortho.png

Longest Loki Av-tree Slice.png
IMG-3040.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-3038.jpg
    IMG-3038.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
2 questions,

how do you do a VK nose cone in fusion? Figured out how to make a cone but not sure how to get the profile of a VK nosecone

Is the o-ring to keep BP charge away from the electronics?

There is an add-on for Fusion that makes nose cones. It does all the styles and is explained in this YouTube video. The link to download is in the comments.

Yes, the O-ring is to seal the av-bay from ejection gasses.

thank you, figured out how to get the yxz coordinates calculated in excel using the VK formula and used the plug in to import them, working on figuring out how to use those points to revolve

if anyone ever needs the excel formula for VK nose cone, just copy and paste and update the inputs

=(R*SQRT(ACOS(1-((2*LT)/L))-(SIN(2*ACOS(1-((2*LT)/L)))/2)))/SQRT(PI())

R = radius of the nose cone base, LT = distance from the nose cone tip (y axis point), and L = the overall length of the nose cone. the equation will give the x axis point

will figure out later, i can at least create the curve now, i'm interested in knowing the internal diameter at certain points of nose cone depth and laser-cutting AV rings to fit

love the nosecone plug in, its absolutely perfect!!! thanks for pointing to it

1599203402378.png\

Back