CAD Software 3D CAD programs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a 3D program for beginners. Have tried Fusion 360 and 3D builder. Guess they are to fancy for me to learn. Cannot figure out how to put a hole in my file. What ones are for dummies?

Fusion has some pretty good tutorials. Have you tried them? Tutorial Link

TinkerCAD is one of the simplest, but I never liked it because it was too simple.

I really feel like Fusion 360 is in the sweet spot between easy to learn and remarkably capable.

They’re not files, theyre videos hosted online. They use content that’s already embedded in Fusion 360 so you can operate on the same parts they’re demoing

I use dual monitors to put the training video on one side and Fusion on the other and follow along click for click. The version they teach on is a little out of date so some things don’t look exactly the same, but the basic functionality is all there.

I must have missed something then. I clicked on the beginner version and got a down loaded zip file. None would open. Will have to look again.

I’ve had the same problem a few times. I don’t know if it’s their server or some cache on the user end or what.

You might try opening Fusion and launching training from there. There’s a side bar on the right that takes you there.

Looking for a 3D program for beginners. Have tried Fusion 360 and 3D builder. Guess they are to fancy for me to learn. Cannot figure out how to put a hole in my file. What ones are for dummies?

David, can you describe what you are trying to do?

Most CAD programs have a hole command, but you can also extrude a shape (a circle in this case) thru your part.

3D CAD is mostly building stuff by either adding extrusions or removing extrusions.

To make a box, you would first draw a rectangle [X by Y], then extrude it Z inches. To make a hole, you would first select the plane on which you want your hole, constrain it (make it X inches from one side, and Y inches from the other) and extrude it [cut] thru the part. You can extrude 'thru', or a specified distance.

you then start adding geometry as you want to build the design intent.

Describe what you want to do, and we can walk you thru the steps. The concepts are difficult at first, but they get easy once you get the basics down. (A lot I've taught tend to think of making the first main shape as complex as they can. start simple. An engine block would start out as a general shape of the engine block [front to back]. Then start removing material where you don't what it, or add where you do..)

Trying to take my stl file, load it and then add a hole to allow a mmt to fit after printing. I can load the file but cannot get the hole command to put a hole in the part. I have the free version of Fusion 360 and thought that maybe it was limiting me. But then I tried the 3D builder that came with my new laptop. I cannot get a hole in the part in that either.

STLs are not directly editable in most CAD software, it's just a surface representation of the model. You'll need to convert it to something that can be modified in CAD, then convert it back to STL.

https://all3dp.com/1/7-free-stl-editors-edit-repair-stl-files/

If you have access to the original file that the STL was made from, that's a better place to start than converting STLs.

Tried the sketch, It would not allow me to define the size of the hole. Also converted the stl file to the image that had like 36,000 facets. Fusion said this was able to be edited. But because of all the facets it took to long and would freeze. My guess is that it will be some thing super simple that I did not do right, and I will look really dumb. But I have not found that thing yet :(

I like OpenSCAD. I find it easier to learn than the others I've looked at. It's also free and there are a lot of existing files for it on this forum and on Thingiverse.

Autodesk tutorials are pretty bad and kept me away from Fusion 360 for a long time. This single video got me to learn enough to play around and do stuff in it till I figured out stuff.

To this day I'm learning new features. Tutorials are different for everyone, but for me personally this guy really saved me. It's different for everyone, but I just wanted to learn just enough so I can make something, then when I want to know how to do more just google it lol

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKHaug

Hey neil. thanks, tried that one also. Here is a link to the files I am trying to use.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3759393

Download and edit the f3d files which the original author graciously provided, not the stl files if you want to edit. You will want to ”create” a cylinder, where you want to put your motor mount, then use the modify -> combine tool to subtract the cylinder from the rocket.

Here is a video on the subject: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/4bd11ccf-1d8a-4783-9030-ec6617adee83

Dr Wogz (Paul) described it very well above.

That is a very cool model, and like @alexzogh said very gracious that they supplied the f3d!

Tried the sketch, It would not allow me to define the size of the hole. Also converted the stl file to the image that had like 36,000 facets. Fusion said this was able to be edited. But because of all the facets it took to long and would freeze. My guess is that it will be some thing super simple that I did not do right, and I will look really dumb. But I have not found that thing yet :(

I have no tips to add beyond what's already been said. Just wanted to say Way to go for working through the hurdles of learning this stuff! (especially if computers aren't your favorite devices)

It'll come with practice and some research

Thanks Nyt. I have printed all the parts to build her, but when I tried to make a hole for the mmt, it just melted and turned to shot. So now I am wanting to print it with an already hole to glue in a motor tube. Since today is my 60th B day and I have been doing yard work since 6am, and I have to deep fry a turkey for tonight as my Son and his Mrs are coming for supper(how does this work?). I am going to go and die for and hour or so:)

Hey David - I always am in favor of "teaching a man to fish", like the others have already done. I had an idea, if you want we could do a quick webex or zoom and go through it together.

Thanks, I am wanting to learn it and am trying my best. But some times I just need to walk away and go build on a rocket. Hate to tell you this, but I have never heard of webex. I know everyone for school around here is using zoom, but guess what?? God I am old. Oh yeah that's right I just turned 60 yesterday :)

Back