38mm Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
well, here she is!
still need to do some painting detaills. but i am pretty happy with how the nosejob turned out!

38MMGoblin.jpg

be the one...

I'm going to fly this for my Cert attempt

Wow ! That paint job just rocks! And that photo doesn't look like it's 3" , if you say it is , that thing is gonna be schweet!

That's awesome!!! What motor are you going to use in it?

Loopy

What paint did you use to get that bright yellow color?

I've been looking for someting like that.

OBTW ... I LOVE the Goblin!!! I have 4 of them from BT-20 to BT-60.

But a 3" Goblin is going to Rock!!!!

Beautiful! I know a guy who has about 3 fully glassed goblins of the original size. Flies them all on Ks. Always has one in the air. Had one shred at mach. Fins, paint, everything!

I love watching Goblins fly.

Especially bigger ones.

I've seen 'em in original flavor, 3", 4", and two variations on the 7.5" theme that SmokinRockets posted. One of those was a five-motor cluster of Pro38s and 54mm stuff (airstarting all the way up), and the other one (see Bill's pictures) on an M1315W. Way too cool... they seem to move out in a different way than most rockets do. I love the design!

Good luck on your cert flight, Elapid!

with a sanding block and a 3x3x12" block o' balsa!
it seems a little pointier than in the pic here and i'm considering finishing the paint a bit more b4 i take it out to the desert.

with a sanding block and a 3x3x12" block o' balsa!
it seems a little pointier than in the pic here and i'm considering finishing the paint a bit more b4 i take it out to the desert.

the paint is Krylon OSHA Yellow
i like it better than the sunflower yellow that it started as!

here's a pic of the rockets i'm bringing to Aeronaut 2004

24mm Fliskits Tumbleweed Upscale
29mm Initiator
29mm IQSY Tomahawk
38mm HoJo
38mm Goblin
54mm Sonic 3100

not sure why the upload failed...
here's the pic
rockets.jpg

it will take me a min to upload it

Those rockets look sweet , I realy like the Honest-John & Tomahawk :p

Nice looking fleet elapid! I personally favor the Tumbleweed upscale :)

the tumbleweed was a fun build. i used a piece of 8" sono tube for the ring fin, some dowels for the fin tips, basswood fins.

Sorry about the loss of other rockets but at least you got your cert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D I know how you feel though. In may, I launched some rockets for our JROTC organization day. First up was my new Initiator on a F20. 1 sec into lfight and the ejection charge went off. Well, there was propellant left to burn so now it burned from both ends. The inside was charrged and it burned through the shock cord. The rocket body fell, damaging a fin and the NC and parachute caem down softly. Next up was my Eye in the Sky 6 on a C6 and 2 A8s. Well, only the C and 1 A lit and made the rocket go off an anglen ot reaching the altitude expected. The rocket deployed the chute 10' of the ground but never had a chance to open and it broke off all 4 fins and damaged the outboards. Then, other day my Eye in the sky 7 crashed (read the report in the MPR forum) because of jammed chute. It seems like every vid cam launch recently in front of a crowd crashes! What is up with that?!?!?! :mad: Well, congrats on your L1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Fogot to mention.......AWESOME GOBLIN!!!!!!!!!! That is one COOL looking rocket! Paint looks great!!! Cool rocket!:cool:

Hey Elapid, when and where is Aeronaut 2004? Is it going to be at Lucerne?

July 30/aug 1, 2004
at Black Rock, NV

i just stayed for saturday, having broken most of my stuff.
i pulled off the cert on an I366R, what a cool flight!
goblin CATO'd on an I154J on my first cert attempt.
:(
she ain't pretty, but...
i got it ready to fly again now.
:D

goblin1.jpg

Ouch! Ah well, all my rockets look like that. Got one that's 100% epoxy (after repairs):D

Nice lookin rocket, excellent job. I fancy the Goblin. One day I will build a really big one and hopefully the rocket gods will be pleased.

Fly high,
Marty

Yes I saw it was just this last weekend, of course I found out after I asked the question.

the Goblin is one of my fave's also!
interesting to note that it flew with no fiberglass reinforcement and the BT was the protective tube used to keep the body tube from getting crushed in the Initiator Starter Kit; also unreinforced.

Back