38mm DoorKnob -

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im hoping someone else will tackle it before I start building- as of now Im going 29mm but being spoiled on flying 38mm research motors/ Im half tempted to do it.

Im hoping someone else will tackle it before I start building- as of now Im going 29mm but being spoiled on flying 38mm research motors/ Im half tempted to do it.
Not hard to do...getting it back might be! With a 38 MMT I would double the arframe using coupler sections from Balsa Machining Service, that way it would take many of the 38mm motors without much stress.

I was really just amazed they even offered it as an option- even with the upgrade plywood and 29mm , on a G80 it should be a hoot ;)

Im thinking 5 inch glass tube and a 54mm mount - where is Gary T when you need him :rolleyes:

I built one... need to dig up what motor she ran on. I have a second (unbuilt) with the Vander-Burn upgrade (love his stuff btw). I airframe buckled and fin sheared off but I believe most of that occurred on impact due to the ejection change melting the parachute cords. Aerotech G76 Mojave F72533B7-CC9A-4ACA-B89A-D8F44E0DF717.jpegF72533B7-CC9A-4ACA-B89A-D8F44E0DF717.jpeg

The build has started. Motor shown is a 54mm 620ns I100 Firestarter . 6 seconds of terror. All the extra goodies are from Mac Performance .125 canvas cut by Nat Kinsley. Motor mount is also canvas , just not in the picture.
Is that a “stock” Doorknob with MacP fins or a all MacP kit ?

The build has started. Motor shown is a 54mm 620ns I100 Firestarter . 6 seconds of terror. All the extra goodies are from Mac Performance .125 canvas cut by Nat Kinsley. Motor mount is also canvas , just not in the picture.

Why canvas not
G10/12 ?

Last edited:
Canvas (0.769 oz/ft³) is also lighter then G10 (1.1 oz/ft³)/G12 (1.05 oz/ft³).

Last edited:
You may not even need glass on the body tube. It has no joints, the motor mount and rings will reinforce it internally down where most of the stress will be, and the tube is just short (smaller bending moments)

Canvas (0.769 oz/ft³) is also lighter then G10 (1.1 oz/ft³)/G12 (1.05 oz/ft³).
Not knocking it , but Im not sure I would be real concerned about the weight difference, I have just never worked with it . If it was a huge bit cheaper maybe, thats just me, if your putting that much motor to that little rocket-
whats a few ounces ??

No glass needed, the mmt and centering rings add a ton of strength. 54mm no problem.

So I finished mine up-it was fun to build a small cardboard/plywood kit again - I was getting spoiled on glass 4 inch stuff . Of course I changed the colors , mainly because it was what I had in leftover quarts , and Im not a big fan of the cardstock colors. Will give it a go in a few weeks on a G40/7W with the JLCR. 20210222_202921.jpg

Attachments

• 20210222_202603.jpg
    20210222_202603.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back