38mm Deuces Wild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Well, TRF killed my other thread on the 38mm Deuce. I have made some progress!!! I wil repost the pictures tonight! Right Now I have 2 fins on with 6 oz FG on them and the MMT is glued in with some west systems around it. I need to fiberglass the uppermost tube and fiberglass the foam nosecone made by Sandman. I am going to try and make a mold out of it. If that does not work, then I will just finish up his nosecone all nice and purty.

Hoping to get 2 CTI H black bears to fly this on first flight, then some sparkies!!

Pics will follow when I get home tonight.

Ben

here are some pics of the MMT, Bt and fins

IMG_9327-1.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9324-1.jpg

IMG_9325-1.jpg

Ben

Ben,

It looks like you are well on your way! I am posting a link to my 38mm Deuces Wild that may be able to help you during your construction phase. It first flew in 2003 and actually made the cover of Sport Rocketry, something of which both Jim Flis and I were proud. Just click on any picture to enlarge and use the "Next" link at the top to navigate through. Mine was designed as either single or dual deployment, depending on the field. Also, if you are looking for a custom nosecone, Sandman was the go to guy in this department and made a great one for me. Best wishes to you and your build and keep us posted.

https://75.186.39.118/ctulanko/album/?dir=hprdw

Ben,

It looks like you are well on your way! I am posting a link to my 38mm Deuces Wild that may be able to help you during your construction phase. It first flew in 2003 and actually made the cover of Sport Rocketry, something of which both Jim Flis and I were proud. Just click on any picture to enlarge and use the "Next" link at the top to navigate through. Mine was designed as either single or dual deployment, depending on the field. Also, if you are looking for a custom nosecone, Sandman was the go to guy in this department and made a great one for me. Best wishes to you and your build and keep us posted.

https://75.186.39.118/ctulanko/album/?dir=hprdw

I have seen your build and I am glad you posted because I couldn't find the link! You are what inspired me to want Deuces fromMMX all the way to dual 8" Q motors, but thats another thread ;)

Ben

Good luck Ben. I built a 38mm Deuce/Kraken last year and it has turned into one of my favorite rockets. Half way through the build I woke up in the middle of the night and had the idea to add a inboard pair of 38mm motor mounts that I could use for air starting. I have four flights on this rocket so far and have used I-285 Redlines and up to J-350 White lightnigs in the canted motor mounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=248ZLdN4Gis

DSCN0599.jpg

krakenroc22.jpg

airstart1.JPG

Last edited:
Kewl dude... when are you planning to launch it.... Red Glare 6 ? LDRS?

both!!!!????

Here it is with 2 fins fiberglassed with 5.8oz glass. 1/4" ply west system fillets.

Ben

0301090916.jpg

2 more fins on and another set of fillets done. I will post the pics of that and the little work I did on the Ebay. Need to make the other end bulkplate and make a sled. I should be able to get this thing finished and into paint by next weekend.

Ben

BUMP! finally getting back to this. I am looking for fin #3. It broke off a few weeks ago and is missing :p Its somewhere in the rocket eating shop but I just need to find it!

I am going to FG sandmans nosecone and try my and at making a mold and reproduction. If theres enough demand I could make a few for futurs upscalers.

I will try and get some pics up tonight.

Ben

BUMP! finally getting back to this. I am looking for fin #3. It broke off a few weeks ago and is missing :p Its somewhere in the rocket eating shop but I just need to find it!

I am going to FG sandmans nosecone and try my and at making a mold and reproduction. If theres enough demand I could make a few for futurs upscalers.

Ben

HOw do you loose a fin to a 38mm Deuce's Wild!???

That's like loosing a large cookie sheet in the pan drawer...

LOL

38 mm Deuce, 54 mm Deuce... Any plans on doing a 6" Deuce, Ben? :jaw: (I hope, I hope... :D )

MarkII

HOw do you loose a fin to a 38mm Deuce's Wild!???

That's like loosing a large cookie sheet in the pan drawer...

LOL

That's a good question. I don't have a 38mm Deuce, but each fin to my 54mm deuce is something like 3.2 acres...

38 mm Deuce, 54 mm Deuce... Any plans on doing a 6" Deuce, Ben? :jaw: (I hope, I hope... :D )

MarkII

I actually do have plans to do a 16" with dual Os And then for BALLS 25 Id like to do dual Qs in a 24"

why have you not restarted the 75mm and 98mm threads?

patience young grasshopper!! ;) Even I can have to many projects!! Im doing them in order. Once I get the 54 done Ill do a 76

Ben

Ben

I may be interested in a nosecone...I want to do a 38mm Deuce..Eventually...Now, if I can just coax my 18mm Deuce to build itself....:rolleyes:

Out of curiosity Ben, wasn't this supposed to fly at LDRS? I was kind of interested in seeing another upscale Deuce...

I actually do have plans to do a 16" with dual Os And then for BALLS 25 Id like to do dual Qs in a 24"...

Ben
I meant 6" diameter motors. But you answered the question anyway.

Deuce's Wild on dual Q's? Hmmm...... [looks off toward the horizon, at nothing in particular...]

MarkII

I meant 6" diameter motors. But you answered the question anyway.

Deuce's Wild on dual Q's? Hmmm...... [looks off toward the horizon, at nothing in particular...]

MarkII

I meant 6" diameter motors also. If i would have gotton the tubing like I anticipated me and Bob Utley were going to drag race our two O powered Deuces at LDRS.

Ben

Out of curiosity Ben, wasn't this supposed to fly at LDRS? I was kind of interested in seeing another upscale Deuce...

yeah it was. Till I got wrapped up with a fireworks show and some other stuff.

Ben

i have been considering a dueces wild, i know i would like to do it in the 38mm version. any chance anyone can point me to a rocksim file for the upscale? or give me a pointer on how to use rocksim to upscale from the original?

thanks

The Deuce is a fairly simple upscale - the main challenge is in the motor mount. If you want to do TTW fins, it adds an additional challenge - my 54mm Deuce has surface mounted fins though, so that wasn't a problem.

after sitting for 9 months, I found fin #4 yesterday in the garage!!! We were moving the last bit of stuff around an sitting there on the floor was the fin! Its not filleted on the BT. The Ebays almost done. I have a 12 gram and 16 grain CD3 unit mounted in it. Just because I can :p And ive wanted to try DD with a CD3 unit.

Ill take some pictures tomorrow after school. I need to t2t 3 more sides and sand the hell out of the motor tube/fillet areas to make it look real nice.

Stay tuned......

Ben

Oooh, excellent. I had forgotten about this thread.

Oooh, excellent. I had forgotten about this thread.

Shed been sitting up there on the shelf looking a little deformed and lopsided sitting on 3 fins! Got that taken care off. Im pretty proud of the Ebay I made, ill snap some pics tomorrow. ARTS 2 with 2 batteries ad 2 CD3's

Ben

Very nice.

I'm looking forward to flight pics. My favorite that I've flown mine on so far was White Lightning (skid was nice too).

Very nice.

I'm looking forward to flight pics. My favorite that I've flown mine on so far was White Lightning (skid was nice too).

Ive got some 38mm sparky grains laying around. Ill throw 2 Hs together for the MDRA may launch. I got the stock 15 degrees so the spread should be great!

Ben

Back