38mm Aerotech DMS Thrust Ring Dimensions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC3KNM

Probably Wrong
Reaction score
I'm working on a motor retention system and need the dimensions of the thrust rings on the 38MM DMS motors. I'm not sure if the thrust rings differ within the 38mm line, but I'm looking at using an H100W. Aerotech doesn't seem to have the dimensions listed on their site, but I may have missed it. If anyone knows, or could measure one for me (O.D. and thickness of thrust ring), I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

It seems like on the newer DMS motors the thrust ring is made of a different material than the early ones. It almost looks to be some kind of plastic. I flew a DMS K535 couple of weeks ago and thrust ring was very shinny in looks.

Thanks! That looks pretty much like whats on some of the earlier motors, but I'm not sure if that's it.

It seems like on the newer DMS motors the thrust ring is made of a different material than the early ones. It almost looks to be some kind of plastic. I flew a DMS K535 couple of weeks ago and thrust ring was very shinny in looks.

Hopefully the size of the ring hasn't/doesn't change, but it wouldn't be too hard to print multiple parts for the retainer as I plan to launch this with a few different motors anyway.

I'll likely just go off of the dimensions of the linked paper ring and check it out tomorrow when I get one at the field. Thanks for the help!

You'll want the dimensions for the newer 3D printed ones. The old paper ones were phased out in late 2016.

Thanks! That looks pretty much like whats on some of the earlier motors, but I'm not sure if that's it.

Hopefully the size of the ring hasn't/doesn't change, but it wouldn't be too hard to print multiple parts for the retainer as I plan to launch this with a few different motors anyway.

I'll likely just go off of the dimensions of the linked paper ring and check it out tomorrow when I get one at the field. Thanks for the help!

Had one out on my bench, doing pretty much what you are doing.

This is an I140W 38mm DMS

I140dms2.pngI140dms.png

Last edited:
Just a heads up, the H550 I grabbed at the field last week had a paper ring. Same dimensions as the 3D printed ring, so it's a non issue. Thanks again for the dimensions, worked out perfectly!

Attachments

• IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 69
I'm working on a motor retention system and need the dimensions of the thrust rings on the 38MM DMS motors. I'm not sure if the thrust rings differ within the 38mm line, but I'm looking at using an H100W. Aerotech doesn't seem to have the dimensions listed on their site, but I may have missed it. If anyone knows, or could measure one for me (O.D. and thickness of thrust ring), I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
I asked and answered a similar question in https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/aerotech-dms-dimensional-drawings.181755/. Unfortunately, there is a lot off extraneous, unhelpful posts to sort out, but I now have a way to create dimensioned drawings and 3D models of Aerotech motors.

PM me if you still need the information.

Back