38 to 29mm adapter question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascastil

Reaction score
Im building a Loc IV for a cert and I bought a plain ol 29mm adapter from Apogee to get a couple flights in before I attempt the cert. The thing I just realized tonight, how in the heck am I going to keep my 29mm motor from shooting up inside the body tube? Im going to have an Aeropac 38mm retainer on the motor tube. No engine hooks or rings inside the motor mount.

Buy the Aeropack 38-29 adapter. It seats right into the 38 mm retainer and the screw-in cap holds the whole assembly together.

Edit - I just realized that you already bought the adapter. Do you mean a LOC-type adapter? If so, you will probably have to use friction fit. Get out the masking tape!

Last edited:
Im building a Loc IV for a cert and I bought a plain ol 29mm adapter from Apogee to get a couple flights in before I attempt the cert. The thing I just realized tonight, how in the heck am I going to keep my 29mm motor from shooting up inside the body tube? Im going to have an Aeropac 38mm retainer on the motor tube. No engine hooks or rings inside the motor mount.

Is it the one with a cardboard tube and 3 centering rings (one of which is actually a thrust ring, that should be large enough to keep the whole assembly from sliding down the 38mm mmt)? If so the the motor adapter is put into the 38 Aeropack motor retainer and the ring screwed on, then the 29mm motor can be friction fitted into the 29mm mmt. If the adapter is short enough a wrap of tape around the top of the motor (if its exposed) will help), the 29mm motor should be able to be pre-loaded into the adapter then the adapter dropped into the Aeropack retainer and the ring screwed on. What type 29mm motor is it a reloadable, single use, does it have a thrust ring on the motor.

Last edited:
Ita the adapter with only 2 centering rings. Ill be using an AT 29 40-120 for the first couple flights.

Buy the Aeropack 38-29 adapter. It seats right into the 38 mm retainer and the screw-in cap holds the whole assembly together.

Edit - I just realized that you already bought the adapter. Do you mean a LOC-type adapter? If so, you will probably have to use friction fit. Get out the masking tape!

I dont have the Loc adapter, but that Aeropack adapter is exactly what I need. Im going to order one now, thanks. I tell you, preparing for this cert attempt is getting expensive, lol. I bought the kit, casing and ends, propellant, a rail, a new pad from Knight for the rail, and now this adapter. Oh well, theyre upgrades I guess and Im having fun and very excited.

I dont have the Loc adapter, but that Aeropack adapter is exactly what I need. Im going to order one now, thanks. I tell you, preparing for this cert attempt is getting expensive, lol. I bought the kit, casing and ends, propellant, a rail, a new pad from Knight for the rail, and now this adapter. Oh well, theyre upgrades I guess and Im having fun and very excited.

The Aeropack adapter is definitely the best choice!

Can you provide a picture or the Apogee part number?

Apogee shows the part number that I bought as 12070. And I just looked at the pic and see that there is a 3rd ring, which I found in the box! So I guess I dont need the Aeropack adapter! Am I right?

Oh, darn. Sorta mocked it up and the 29mm casing will slide back out past the 38mm retainer. Looks like its back to buying the Aeropack adapter.

The best choice is the Aeropack, but you can friction fit the casing into the adapter. I've done it several times.

Oh, darn. Sorta mocked it up and the 29mm casing will slide back out past the 38mm retainer. Looks like its back to buying the Aeropack adapter.

Did the larger CR fit into the Aeropack securely? If so the 29mm casing will still need the friction fit. The larger diameter CR is what keeps the adapter in place with the Aeropack 38 retainer, the motors thrust ring goes against the larger CR, the 29mm casings rear closure should fit inside but not be retained by the Aeropacks cap. The 29mm mmt tubing can be left long and stick out past the 38mm retainers cap then a wrap of aluminum tape can go around the 29mm aft closure and the 29mm tubing which will secure the motor very well.

Back