38/640 questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about a 38/640 hardware set.
Can you put AT or CTI motors in it?
Where can you find KBA & Gorllia rocket motors?
I'm trying to figure out where to get motors for that case at a launch in the midwest.

Thanks,

If you stick with Aerotech, CTI, and Loki it's just easier to order reloads for. Not picking on the other vendors. It's just what's common version what isn't.

If you stick with Aerotech, CTI, and Loki it's just easier to order reloads for. Not picking on the other vendors. It's just what's common version what isn't.

Well, KBA stand for Kosdon by Aerotech.... sooooo....

and the Gorilla just was sold...

J520F-14 is stocked as a 38-640 kosdon load at cs rocketry with a lead time agreement.

The kosdon reload is not in stock at the moment. I think flying the case regularly will require planning weeks ahead to meet lead times versus what is more common in the field. You will likely find 5:1 CTI 38 5G or Aerotech 38-720s per kosdon load availability.

Well he’s looking for motors five months before flying season.... so I’d say he’s got planning on his side.

I have a couple of questions about a 38/640 hardware set.
Can you put AT or CTI motors in it?
Where can you find KBA & Gorllia rocket motors?
I'm trying to figure out where to get motors for that case at a launch in the midwest.

Thanks,

Don't forget the 38/640 motor is made by both AMW and Kosdon (TRM). The 2 are not compatible. https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/motors-kosdon-by-aerotech-38mm-640
The J520 is for the TRM motor the other 3 loads are for the AMW motor.

He mentioned his brother has an L-2. So the brother can legally remain in control of the HPR motors until the flying season comes. Or the Kid could try to talk to vendor and put down a NAR/TRA ID number then ask if a legal guardian could purchase the motor with a parental photo ID over 18??? IDK how the rule would work for this scenario. Someone smarter than me will answer it. I flew Cessnas from right seat when I was 14, not HPR rockets, and my father filed all the paperwork in his name until I legally solo'd at age of 17 with the insurance paperwork and TSA crap filed in my name along with a death release form/insurance forms on a rental. There's a lot of stuff a kid can do with a parent. Sometimes the regulations and procedures get wonky until a certain age is met. He's not your normal 14 year old if he's already knows about a Kosdon HPR motor casing.

Last edited:
Yea it’s likely the worst hardware on the planet for him to have. But, is what it is.

Last edited:
If it's a freebie loaner I wouldn't call it the absolute worst. It's just uncommon like a Volvo metric oil pan drain plug that when stripped takes awhile to get a replacement from a far off place across the planet. Sorry for the crude analogy. Maybe the OP likes the rarity of the Kosdon hardware. I'm not going to judge him. But there will be a wait time involved in the motor reload ordering, and maybe a vendor needs to know ahead of a big launch if he needs a few for an event, especially any launch vendor supported events.

He should be banging out F50 SU motors, not chasing down rare loads for way too big cases. But it’s not my journey, so I’ll point him the right way and the rest is up to him.

Heck he complains of HAZMAT. I've been eyeing a 38/480 casing by Loki because you can get I405 loads and a bunch of others at $40 each without ANY hazmat fees. That's what turned me off about MPR was if I bought a $15-20 CTI MPR load or a bigger AT MPR load, I would hit a $30 Haz charge same as a HPR motor I class.

He should be banging out F50 SU motors, not chasing down rare loads for way too big cases. But it’s not my journey, so I’ll point him the right way and the rest is up to him.

Some vendors like Apogee won't even let you order a MPR motor unless you have a Photo ID. I don't even use them for motor purchases, because people like Wildman don't even ask.

Some vendors like Apogee won't even let you order a MPR motor unless you have a Photo ID. I don't even use them for motor purchases, because people like Wildman don't even ask.

Photo ID doesn't even matter. Back when I was 16, my father got shot down over Bilya in the middle east. No one would do anything about it and they were going to hang him! The government was dragging their feet and doing nothing because thats all they can ever do! Incompetent! So I talked to an old family friend, Chappy. He helped me onto the AF base, and we loaded out a pair of F-16's. Chappy got shot down ganster style, but I heard he's pretty good at the doggy paddle. I blew up oil fields until they agreed to release my dad. Those jerks shot him when I tried to land!!! the nerve! So I nap'd the place, shot down their boss, and landed anyways and got my dad. By then the AF knew they hadda show up and help since they were taking the blame anyways.

But yea, not ONCE did anyone check my ID! they're worthless!

Hey man... Gotta teach the little fella too go fish with the big kids. I'm not putting my DL license on the internet if they don't require. And I'm 25. :wink:

I fished with the big kids once. parents were super mad, but we ran out of haddock. Crabs ain't coming into the pots without any bait in there!

Loved the Iron Eagle references. Oh man... This kid will give that actor a run for his money once he has a Kosdon in his hands, rofl.

Does anyone know if there's spacers for this case?
I could always start small with the case.. If so, I could fly G & small H motors first, and work my way up from there.
The rocket designed for this 38/640 case was mostly built by my brother, who has his L2. Whatever he didn't build, I did it, and he watched me, and helped me! What a helpful brother!! :)
Yesterday I flew 2 sweet G motors, a G75M, and a G106SK. The G106SK spanked my Partizon to nearly mach one, and it held together, so I know I can build rockets well.

Thanks,

I'm trying an Aerotech DMS H219T-14A for my third L-1 cert attempt later on a 3.5 lb 54mm airframe roughly 2ft long. On an I300T this year it went to 5400ft. You could always fly a 38/640 on an L-1 attempt, but I doubt you'd get it back without a decent tracker setup or atleast a JLCR unit to deploy a chute late if you don't want to deploy at apogee. Winds aloft can blow the rocket a long ways from where you launch it compared to an MPR. I don't know the specs on your rocket but I recommend you sim a bunch of motors in Open Rocket or Rocsim.

The DMS line of motors you don't need a casing for which may save you money for the cert flight.

The H219T-14A simmed half the altitude of the I300T in the same rocket so it should remain in visual sight.

Hey man... Gotta teach the little fella too go fish with the big kids. I'm not putting my DL license on the internet if they don't require. And I'm 25. :wink:

You've missed my point.

Blabbing to everyone that Wildman might forget to check a DL every now and again wasn't exactly tactful or well-reasoned.

I don't know the grain length of a Kosdon 38-640 casing. I'd assume it's different from the Aerotech 38-480/720/1080 grain lengths and not as compatible with the Reloadable Adapter system sold with the 120/720 casing setups... David had pictures of the 1320 casing grains that were way longer than the normal versions. Perhaps aerotech has instruction manuals that could indicate that info.

6794_3346_700.png

The rocket designed for this 38/640 case was mostly built by my brother, who has his L2.
You are suppose to completely build a certification rocket if you are going for certifications. Someone at the range can help you assemble a motor reload. The RSO may assist you in rigging it if he/she spots build errors, but you are suppose to learn how to construct an HPR rocket. You may hit a disqualification here dude.

Latest posts

Back