• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found 38-54 Expansion Closures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DabCat

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of expansion closures for 38mm aerotech cases. Dr. Rocket or clones, used or new, all works. If anyone has some they are willing to sell, I would be very appreciative.

Good luck, I have never seen a set of those in the wild, only photos (mostly from the Dr Rockets website).
Thanks for the luck. I'm aware that this may be a long shot. I'm hoping that someone may at least have some clone closures. I have seen a few at launches, but I do agree that they seem pretty rare.

I agree with Jim. I've had some of these in the past only as collectibles. In comparison to Aeropack adapters they weigh too much to be practical.
I agree that they probably aren't too practical. From a cost perspective, Aeropak is way cheaper (assuming I bought a set of these closures at full retail) and allows for more flights without the need for swapping closures. Out of curiosity, how much of a weight difference is there? It doesn't seem like there is a ton more material, but I could be completely wrong.

Picked up a set at a vendors and promptly put them back due to the weight. I did think it was a cool solution at the time.

Picked up a set at a vendors and promptly put them back due to the weight. I did think it was a cool solution at the time.
So what is the weight difference? They are also your motor closures. Plus weight of AP adapters. I would think weight would not much difference.

If you're flying a 38mm motor in a 54mm mount, an ounce or two of extra weight seems kind of moot.

I never ended up getting any, but I did talk to one of my buddies who has one. For documentation purpose, I weighed some closures.

here is the aft expansion closure: (60 grams)
20220610_181445.jpg
Here is the forward closure: (64 grams)
20220610_182104.jpg

For quick reference, I weighed a few of my closure sets:

38mm forward closure: 41 grams
38mm aft closure: 24 grams
54mm forward closure: 93 grams
54mm aft closure: 31 grams

Hope this may be of help to anyone.

Last edited:
I do have a set if you're still interested. Life's been a bit busy lately and I just found them.

I now have my own set! Very happy with them - thanks a bunch to Rocket86 (John). If anyone wants to see them in person, I would be happy to show them. Just let me know. I attend California launches and maybe a few of the Vegas launches.

Latest posts

Back