37 years ago today...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corrected thread - too early for math - 37 and not 36 years.

someone here recently posted up the video on the question of whether the astronauts survived the original explosion and showed the divers discovery what was left of the capsule and pulling it out of the water.

someone here recently posted up the video on the question of whether the astronauts survived the original explosion and showed the divers discovery what was left of the capsule and pulling it out of the water.
I am unsure how helpful that knowledge or discussion is for family or friends. I personally would like to think they did not suffer.

Hard for me to watch any of the footage. RIP Challenger crew.

Sadly, this is one of my earliest memories. I watched this one live with my mom. A local teacher that my sister and I both had in elementary school was there. He was part of the educators in space program and was an alternate for this mission. He talked a little about the crew and watching the accident, but didn't say too much.

I am unsure how helpful that knowledge or discussion is for family or friends. I personally would like to think they did not suffer.
It is very unlikely they suffered. Most sources I have read say that yes, there is some evidence of things happening in the cabin after the break-up (PEAPs turned on, etc.), but by the time they hit the water it's very likely they would have been unconscious.

Was any of the crew found?
The crew cabin was recovered from the ocean floor. I don't think any more needs to be said.

For me, it happened before I was born so I just grew up knowing it happened. Columbia though... that was different.

VERY SAD DAY. I was in 4th grade, and had been following the Shuttle and Space Program thru a Magazine called Odyssey. My teacher was a science/space enthusiast. He had taken the time to wheel a TV into the classroom and tune the antenna to show us the launch live. Him and I were the only ones in the school that IMMEDIATELY knew something went wrong.

RIP to all the lost shuttle crews, and thoughts and prayers to the family's of all involved.

It is very unlikely they suffered. Most sources I have read say that yes, there is some evidence of things happening in the cabin after the break-up (PEAPs turned on, etc.), but by the time they hit the water it's very likely they would have been unconscious.

The crew cabin was recovered from the ocean floor. I don't think any more needs to be said.

For me, it happened before I was born so I just grew up knowing it happened. Columbia though... that was different.
Being in the USAF after it happened provided opportunity to obtain information regarding this many years before it was released to the general public. I am glad to have known the truth of the aftermath, but it was also difficult knowing at the same time.

We used to be more discrete in how we conducted accident investigations when it came to the details involving crew. My father was on one of the Challenger AIBs and he said there was a lot of information available that would not be made public out of respect for families, friends and the nation. Fast forward 25 years and the intent seems to be to limit liability more than respect.

I was on Wright-Patterson AFB, driving back to my office from lunch when I heard the news on my car radio. When I got back, someone had set op a television and I saw the replay of the disaster.

I was already working for the family business. Went to lunch at home and had permission tostay and watch the launch. Only CNN had live coverage. Every other channel picked it up after the disaster.

I was off the coast of San Diego headed west. The news was on the TV as I past threw threw the lounge on my way to relieve the watch. Off going watch did not believe me.

I was back in school after being laid off from a steel mill. A 30 year old among 20 year olds. When I got to the mechanical/aerospace engineering department, the whole floor was WAY too quiet. It didn't take long to find out what happened. May they, and all that have given their lives in this noble quest (Apollo 1, Columbia, other more oridinary accidents such as Elliot See & Chuck Bassett) rest in peace and rise in glory!

I was in the student center at DeKalb Community College, Central Campus. I was talking to some friends when a bunch of folks who were watching the launch collectively gasped. I looked up to the TV to see a ball of fire where the shuttle used to be.

I was at work, the shuttle launches were getting to be routine. A coworker got a phone call and she put the phone down and exclaimed the shuttle just blew up and the pieces are falling into the ocean. In a conversation, she said they would never find out what happened.
I was kind of surprised that within two weeks there was a report that the solid rocket boosters were the culprit and the O rings failed and the SRB pivoted into the main shuttle tank while at high speed...and the whole thing disintegrated. Was even a diagram in one of the leading national magazines IIRC.

Historically, according to some "experts"- this tragedy was one of the events that resulted in a large segment of a generation losing faith in technology, NASA had been viewed as foolproof and perfect.
Of course those that remembered the Apollo 1 fire knew otherwise.

Last edited:
"Only CNN had live coverage. Every other channel picked it up after the disaster."

Yep.. my father was watching it on CNN...he got out of his chair and called to my mother.."Somethings gone wrong......"

I was in middle school. It was a snow delay and I was supposed to be at the bus stop around 11am, but my dad said he'd just drive me to school and we should watch the launch. It was very confusing to see at the time, as there had been no real tragedy in the space program during my lifetime and watching it live was hard to understand.

Sandy.

I was at work during a brief stint at a Chevrolet dealership in Valdosta, GA during a very slow period. Maybe 2 customers a week in the showroom, the place had a very empty feeling and it was a cold day for this area. Watching on a little TV by the side door as it unfolded, the whole thing felt surreal.

First year of college for me. Wasn't watching live. Walking between classes I heard someone run out of a room yelling about it. I found a room with a TV and sat watching in shock. Within a day or two my astronomy professor was able to tell us what the would eventually find, regarding the O-rings.

Back