360 Camera on Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce

Reaction score
I got a Jolt Duo 360 camera which I was hoping to try flying on a rocket.

Has anyone else tried flying a rocket with a 360 camera on it and gotten any video worth watching?

If the rocket spins in flight, can you compensate for the spin (since you have 360 degree video) and post process it so that it looks like there is no spin? Any ideas on how this is done?

What stitching software is best?

Curious to hear responses, too.......have many aviator friends that use Garmin Virb 360 cameras, but that may be too large for rocketry?

Are you going to have the lenses face up and down in line with the rocket or out to the sides?

Might you be willing to share pictures of your build in progress?

And does the Kodak SP360 Stitch Software allow software correction for the rocket's spin?

Sounds like a great project!

here is a mock up in fusion 360

1603571014903.png

and the build thread

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/mac-performance-4-scorpion-modified.161748/#post-2053049
in the midst of a small design change based on my L3 attempt experience - will build it along the same time as my 2nd L3 attempt

the cameras are using the kodak mount, keeping that 100% as they come to get some great video - my goal is fly it 15k to 20kl feet with a long burn L395 and/or mid-sized M motors

the camera fit perfectly width wise in a 4 inch tube, so they have a clear view without obstructions, the lenses stick out just perfectly. They come with clear lens covers, will likely keep them to avoid damage on recovery, will be a small hit to altitude ~10%

oh will also be night flight capable with 4 10watt leds - of course a lot lower altitude

I am working on a design with 3 downward pointing standard cameras which will cover the entire area under the rocket. I was also hoping to stitch these together and remove the spin so any feedback would be great.

have you found software to stich them together? originally was thinking of using 3 horizontally aimed cameras and stich them, but i'm not familiar with software to do it - hence went with something that had it as a package

We had a spherical Samsung Gear 360 camera at the college I used to work at. Took great video. The first time I saw it I could see it integrated into the top end of a nosecone. I wonder how well that would work?

Are you going to have the lenses face up and down in line with the rocket or out to the sides?

Might you be willing to share pictures of your build in progress?

And does the Kodak SP360 Stitch Software allow software correction for the rocket's spin?

Sounds like a great project!
No spin correction in the video

Maybe it can be corrected post merging of the two camera files in a different software. Or better yet the rocket will have minimal spin.

Here is my Samsung 360 camera nose cone. Works quite well. The camera is very sturdy and can take the hit on the head on landing.

Attachments

• Eyeball Holder Cone V2.jpg
    Eyeball Holder Cone V2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 18
The small round hole is for access to the video on/off button. The rectangular one is a view port for the display screen.

The small round hole is for access to the video on/off button. The rectangular one is a view port for the display screen.
So you have the Samsung Gear 360 that has the handle on it? The one we had at school was basically a ball with a tripod thread at the bottom. And I could connect to it with my Galaxy S7 to start filming.

Im going to spend the winter trying to come up with a way to put 3 Runcam5 in a deployable payload/chute. One pointing 90° from the nose, one 120°, and one 180° (pointing straight down). Don't have this figured out how to do this with a 4" rocket but still dreaming.

Back