36 Inch Surplus Parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the 36 inch mil surplus nylon parachutes that are out there on ebay. They seem sturdy enough but not sure how durable they are, optimum rocket weight, etc.

I've got a Big Daddy V2 that weighs in at 32 oz prepped for launch--would this be the right chute for me? Thanks for any advice!

MetMan

I have not seen much on the 36", but the 66" ones I have seen in action...they look good and work well.

Carl

I purchased one a few weeks ago through the ROL auction but have yet to use it. It's probably the same item. They're flare parachutes and look like they would be OK for smaller birds. I plan on using it in a rocket I'm currently building with an estimated weight of just under 3lbs. The field I fly in is a soft cow pasture and is pretty forgiving with hard landings. The parachute is very small and light weight for a 36" chute. The shroud lines are cut about 24" in length and have no loops. There's also a center shroud line. It's white in color but could easily be dyed to any color you wish. The deployment bag looks like a thin cotton material and doesn't look like it would stand up to the heat of a BP charge. I still plan on using it with recovery wadding.

Paul

Bob,

Cool tie dyed chutes!! I really like this forum...

MetMan

I suggest buying them from www.Aeroconsystems.com . The original source, the people on ROL buy them and try to make an insane profit. I own three 36" and 2 66"..the 36" have moth eaten shroudlines, I suggest you buy commercial chutes of that size.
On the other hand, the 66" chutes are AMAZING!!! Cheap and work incredibly well. Fiberglass shroudlines. I am looking into the 72" chute...looks nice.

I got mine from Commonwealth Displays, and all were in good condition. Mine were Ebay auction purchases, and were very reasonable.

I got a couple off eBay for $5/each (the 36" variety). They really look great to me! I'll just get rid of the deployment bag and stuff it in the airframe with plenty of wadding, personally. The nylon is very "soft" feeling and doesn't appear to have as much memory on it as some of the "stiffer" ripstop chutes available.

In other words, I'm very pleased at this point. The proof will be when I get to use one in a launch situation. (the rocket I'll use one in is on the paint stand now.... COME ON AND DRY YOU DADGUMMED SPRAY PAINT! DRY!!!!!!!!!!)

I like the good responses. I'm thinking I just got a few bad ones. Aerocon's a great place! I still love the 66"...even if you don't have a rocket that needs one, buy it;)

Back