337% Big Daddy - "Midnight Express" - L3 cert project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man what a "picture perfect" flight, congrats and on the level 3 and that is one cool rocket!

Great job Boris! :clap: Now you need to fly it on the C cluster...

Beautiful rocket, and great pictures...congratulations on the successful L3 flight!

Way to go Boris. I guess the chute worked out fine.
GP

Used Top Flight Recovery Chutes and tubular Kevlar harnesses for a great recovery.

Thanks for the quality parts and quick shipment Gary.

Thanks all.

Downloaded data from the Featherweight Raven. Amazing capabilities in such a small package.

Raven data:

The 7/12/12 flight on L820 Skidmark:
Max speed: 328 MPH
Max altitude: 2629 ft (baro, close to the 2608 ft reported by the Perfectflite HA45K)
About 9 Gs off the pad

7/13/12 flight L3 on M1230 Imax:
Max speed: 502 MPH
Max altitude: 4790 ft (baro, vs. 4673 ft reported by the Perfectflite HA45K)
About 8 Gs off the pad

L820.jpg

M1230.jpg

Flight video, includes both L820 Skidmark and M1230 L3 flights plus onboard HD video:

[video=youtube;u3xxDEPVbz8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xxDEPVbz8&feature=plcp[/video]

YouTube playlist of all my LDRS videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xxDEPVbz8&list=PL7EBDC9F336D067FF&feature=plcp

Took a while to get this together due to software and video compatibility issues.

Used a Samsung HD (720 60p) camera mounted to DSLR for hand held video, an AipTek low cost HD (720 60p) video camera on a tripod near the pad (slow motion liftoffs) and a Boostervision HD Gearcam (720 30p) on the rocket.

Last edited:
Flight 3: On 10/6/12 the Midnight Express flew again at CMASS / MMMS in Berwick, ME.

Pro-X 54mm 4grain K740 C-Star - It pleased me greatly to fly the same propellant formula as used on the Space Shuttle.

Lifted off loudly on a hard thrusting bright white flame and column of white smoke. Apogee at 1360ft. Dual altimeters plus motor backup for this single deployment flight.

Although recovery was clean, cracked a fin on contact with the ground. Clearly visible at the end of the onboard video.

Will be repaired.

Liked this liftoff so much I have two K740 loads ready for 2013.

[video=youtube_share;0AeyZi2hx-g]https://youtu.be/0AeyZi2hx-g[/video]

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0149a.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Thanks for sharing the flight. Nice to the build and flight together.

It is an inspiring build thread.

Windy day, high horizontal velocity at touchdown, swept back fin tips - broken fin :(

Windy day, high horizontal velocity at touchdown, swept back fin tips - broken fin :(

That is a bummer. I have a scrap piece of body tube that is 11.6 inches in diameter. I may have to try and build one. Maybe with Fiberglass fins.

That is a bummer. I have a scrap piece of body tube that is 11.6 inches in diameter. I may have to try and build one. Maybe with Fiberglass fins.
The best solution is to fly on calm days so the impact is nearly straight down.

Completed repairs on the cracked fin.

First filled the crack with West Systems epoxy while holding the fin in position.

Then built up two 1.3oz FG layers of 3" strips, followed up by two more layers of 1.3oz FG covering the side of the fin that cracked.

Finally a little touch up paint.

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

Prepping the Midnight Express to fly on a ProX K740 at the CMASS 7/27/13 Amesbury, MA launch.

Current weather prediction is for light winds and temps in the 80's.

Mid-afternoon at the CMASS Amesbury, MA 7/27/13 launch, Midnight Express went up for its fourth flight.

Winds were very light and the rocket soared straight up on a loud, bright white flame and a column of smoke.

The ProX K740 is a very nice engine for this rocket, with the all of the powerful 2.5 second burn clearly visible from the ground.

Gotta love that C-Star propellant, the same formulation as was used on the Space Shuttle boosters.

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

As can be seen in the last picture, the rocket recovered right back at the pad. Not a common occurrence in our normally windy launch site.

Recovery was dual deploy, with dual altimeters plus motor backup.

Drogue: 5ft Top Flight Recovery CrossFire chute
Mains: two 7ft chutes, another nice Top Flight Recovery and a Spherachute.

Rocket was separated at apogee by a 3g charge, with a 2.5g for the mains and 4g motor backup at 13 seconds.

The Featherweight Raven reported 1492ft, the Perfectflite HA45K reported 1484ft.

This was the cleanest recovery yet for the Midnight Express.

Note: The boy seen in the last picture was back with the rest of the spectators during the launch.

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

Back