300% Estes Nike X upscale (ish)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FIVALDROOD

Reaction score
I got my L1 cert a couple months ago and am looking to do a scratch build for my L2 rocket. I picked up the Estes Nike-X kit and love the way it looks, so I am wanting to upscale it roughly 300% to a 4" body tube and a 54mm motor mount. This will be a dual deploy rocket with all components but the fins coming from Madcow. Looking to fly it on small/mid 54mm motors, but with the capability to send it on an L1000 in the future.

The ish part from the title is the nosecone looks to scale to a 4:1 Ogive, but I like the look of the 5.5:1 Von Karman more (Its about 7" taller).

Part List:
4" Fiberglass - 5.5:1 Von Karman Nosecone - Metal Tip
4" G12 Airframe
4" Fiberglass Altimeter bay
54mm Fiberglass Motor Mount - 24.5" Long
2x G10 Centering Rings
4x 1/4" Plywood Centering Rings (Doubling up near both ends of the motor tube so I can have something to screw the rail buttons into.
PML 54mm HAMR Retainer
1/8" G10 Custom Fins - PML

Recovery:
One Bad Hawk - 25' 3/8" Tubular Kevlar 3 Loop
One Bad Hawk - 25' 3/8" Tubular Kevlar 2 Loop
One bad Hawk - 1' 7/16" Tubular Kevlar
70" TopFlight Main Chute
18" TopFlight Ultra X-Type Drogue

Electronics:
RRC2+/3
Eggtimer TRS for tracking/redundant altimeter.

I'm not planning on having the rocket finished until Sept 2019, this will give me plenty of time for feedback and more level 1 flights. Picked up a small DX3 DD at the Madcow sale so I can practice my DD on something smaller! I would also like it figure out a way to attach a go-pro to get video, thinking I might have room to build a sled on the bottom of the altimeter bay.

I've attached the Open Rocket file. Made with best guess / manufacturer details, I don't currently have any parts. Any feedback would be helpful!

Attachments

• L2 Nike-X.ork
    201.1 KB · Views: 57
  • L2 Nike-X 3D - Cutaway.PNG
    L2 Nike-X 3D - Cutaway.PNG
    138.2 KB · Views: 146
  • L2 Nike-X First Draft.PNG
    L2 Nike-X First Draft.PNG
    525.7 KB · Views: 141
Back