• Have you entered ???
    LAUNCH LAB ROCKETRY GIVEAWAY

3 x D CanSat Launcher - do I need an ejection charge baffle?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

OZ1SEJ

Educator
Reaction score
I'm going to build a CanSat Launch Vehicle. Requirements: It must be able to launch a payload the size and weight of a soda can (66 x 115 mm, max. 350 grams) to an altitude of 100 m.

The largest engines I can buy are D.

So I came up with this design for a 3 x D rocket. My question is: Do I need an ejection charge baffle? Pro: Yes, this is a rather large diameter rocket. Con: It would add a lot of weight aft, and 3 D-engines should be sufficient to deploy without a baffle.

What are your thoughts?

Best regards,
Steen

CLV side view.jpgCLV unfinished.jpgView attachment CLV.ork

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
I see that you have a shelf / baffle holding your chute forward. The volume you're pressurizing should be fine for any one of the three motors' ejection charge.

OZ1SEJ

Educator
Reaction score
Thanks! Is there a rule of thumb, or can you calculate this?

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
if you are using cellulose insulation for wadding, then I would mount the chute shelf 7cm further aft. if however you are using a piece of nomex (or other fire resistant cloth to protect the chutes, then you should be good to go.
Rex
*edit*
BP = C x D2 x L

Where:
•BP= The amount of black powder (FFFFG) in grams
•C= on of the following values ◦0.002 = 5 psi
◦0.004 = 10 psi
◦0.006 = 15 psi
◦0.0072 = 18 psi
◦0.008 = 20 psi

(Note: C = (psi * 0.0004)

•D= The airframe diameter in inches
•L= The length of the cavity to be pressurized in inches

using the above formula and 5psi gives me an answer of 0.23g of black powder, if memory serves...a D motor usually has at least 0.3g equivalent of black powder, so 3 D motors ought to get you 15 psi(assuming that all 3 pop at the same time).
R

Last edited: