3 ring release system for large rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven soccer

Reaction score
Currently in the process of redesigning a recovery system for a student team (~6m rocket)

The goal is to have a recovery system like this:

Previously, we went with a similar design, but with the nosecone and drogue directly above the main in a linear series. However, that greatly restricted the size of the payload our rocket could carry, so this year I want to try something like the above.

The goal is a dual deployment system where the nose and drogue are released at apogee via CO2 pressurization, with the main held in the bay until the rocket reached an altitude of approximately 1000 ft, where it would then deploy. Previously, this was done by holding the main parachute in a parachute bag, where it would be released by tender descenders, as below:

However, as I want the main parachute to be contained entirely in the bay, I was looking for something less energetic than tender descenders. I was looking into the use of a 3 ring release system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-ring_release_system), which another school with a similar rocket uses. However, I'm having trouble finding resources on how such a design is implemented in regards to rocketry, and I'm having trouble finding such systems on online vendors like apogee rockets too.

So my question is, how would the 3 ring release system implemented in rocketry, how would i procure or manufacture one, and can such a system be designed for redundancy (two separate release systems for the same parachute)

I haven’t seen one used, but it’s a slick system. You’d need some way to pull the pin. That could be a solenoid or BP powered piston controlled by a regular altimeter.
Two devices in series would give you the redundancy you asked about.
Have you looked at the Jolly Logic Chute Release? It already does what you are trying to do.

I haven’t seen one used, but it’s a slick system. You’d need some way to pull the pin. That could be a solenoid or BP powered piston controlled by a regular altimeter.
Two devices in series would give you the redundancy you asked about.
Have you looked at the Jolly Logic Chute Release? It already does what you are trying to do.

I've come across it, but I understand that it's meant to wrap a rubber band around the main- it seems meant for smaller rockets than the one I'm working with, and I don't see how I could create a redundant system with it.

I've come across it, but I understand that it's meant to wrap a rubber band around the main- it seems meant for smaller rockets than the one I'm working with, and I don't see how I could create a redundant system with it.

Think of the three ring system but instead of the top ring held in place by a sliding pin have the rubber band of the Chute Release hold it in place.

Or, replace the JLCR rubber band with a longer rubber band.
Or run a strap with 2 D-rings around your chute and loop the JLCR through the D-rings.
I haven’t tried any of those suggestions but something like that should work.
Good luck! [emoji106]

I'm taking a wild guess that this might be IREC related? I did see the team that had the three ring release system this year. They burned through string that held the pin in with a heating element to release the rings.

Edward

I'm taking a wild guess that this might be IREC related? I did see the team that had the three ring release system this year. They burned through string that held the pin in with a heating element to release the rings.

Edward
Alright, I will probably stick with Tenders in this case

Back