3" mac rocketry villain

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally have an update! I got the extension. Mike from mac performance was extremely generous and got me exactly the amount I needed for a great price! awesome service as always. ill update when that's all glued in but the plans to eventually shoot this bird to the moon on an L1000 proceed (will I ever do this? idk l1000 are expensive but the ability to fly 6 grain is still really helpful)

Well we have actual build updates! I got the Mach 1 eBay kit just to make it easier since I’ve never really built e bays before but I ended up having to modify it anyways. That said I got that all together and working BC291ED3-A7EE-4EAB-93D9-F4FE11507197.jpegwith that together the last step was gluing in the vent band and the extension leaving me with what should be a finished rocket! Well not quite. I still need the electronics from egg timer which are caught up in some shipping issues, vent holes and shear pins but she seems ready for paint at least6B0BB941-022A-426D-9260-11EC8774052D.jpeg

Looks like you already shot paint, but if it ever did lawn dart, should the paint job go upside down?

Looks like you already shot paint, but if it ever did lawn dart, should the paint job go upside down?
hopefully it never comes to that but it is one of the names I'm thinking of for this rocket. that or greened out lol

The fins have been glued in using the double butter method that the instructions use and by visual inspection the fillets don’t look terrible but I may reinforce them
I can't tell; did you rough up the sides of the fins first? I always rough up the area from the root to past where it comes out of the body tube. Phenolic has a smooth surface and epoxy needs some roughness to "stick" to.

I can't tell; did you rough up the sides of the fins first? I always rough up the area from the root to past where it comes out of the body tube. Phenolic has a smooth surface and epoxy needs some roughness to "stick" to.
yes I did i used like 150 grit and ran it along the root at the body and fin.

Well I finally got all the recovery gear in and man it looks so good!7736CCBF-F6FF-4E8A-813C-1BA621A1457B.jpegtheres only one slight issue… it barely fits. I have wildly overestimated the space you have in a three inch body tube and wow it is biting me in the rear. I’ve managed to get the main into the payload bay basically exactly with almost no space and I have left 6 inches for the drogue and drogue shock which is very long. I guess this is what ground testing is for. I’ll see if I can get everything packed and also feel confident in deployment. I can downsize the drogue which might help some but comes with it’s own trade offs.
I get the at cases in either today or Tomorrow so I can test it with the 54/2800 case but it may be stuck with the three grain for now.

so Ive managed to get recovery gear all figured out its tight but it works Ill just definitley need to do some ground testing to make sure that itll deploy properly. that said motor deploy is probably limited to 3 grain cases as the main barely fits

I just decided to switch the shock cord to my 4” loc iris and it’s simply too much to fit in a 3 inch body tube. I’ll them probably pull one of the three loc shock crowds and switch it to the three inch but idk what I’ll do for now this might not fly for a minute. That said this operation will be a little difficult as I had to tie on the iris mount and it’s burried like 30 inches into a four inch body tube which I can hardly reach. Hopefully this solves the problem but I may just get a short harness for the iris in case I ever need to switch mounting gear again

Flew it on my second l2 attemp of what might be my last flight before college starts and unfortunately a late deploy and I guess a too well packed parachute meant the seem on the phenolic failed resulting in my second l2 fail of the day :(
I don’t have any pictures but the plan for fixing it is som ca and then a wrap of fiberglass and we try again.
Remind me to pack my parachute slightly worse next time lmao

Flew it on my second l2 attemp of what might be my last flight before college starts and unfortunately a late deploy and I guess a too well packed parachute meant the seem on the phenolic failed resulting in my second l2 fail of the day :(
I don’t have any pictures but the plan for fixing it is som ca and then a wrap of fiberglass and we try again.
Remind me to pack my parachute slightly worse next time lmao
(The actual way to fix this problem would be a shorter delay or adding something like a jolly logic chute release but those take like time and planning. Wrapping the shroud lines around the parachute is just the poor man’s chute release lol)

After a long hiatus I’ve finally fixed the villain booster. The cracks were glued with ca and the fiberglass patches went overtop. It’s a bit of a quick and dirty fix but college and life get in the way alasimage.jpg

Back