3" dia Falcon GAR-1D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's 4 new PDF files. Each is named appropriately for the series it represents. The files which end in in "alt" don't have measurements displayed; it's to better show the profile of the rocket, less clutter. The scale is 1:2.02.

Changes:

I made the front of the main fins more true to the actual missile on both models. The nosecone for the AIM-4X has been changed to match it's namesake.

The main differences I found between the AIM-4X and GAR-1X are as follows:

1. The AIM-4X series is longer than the GAR-1X.
2. The AIM-4X has an "egg" shaped nosecone (spherically blunted ogive?) emanating from a straight bodytube; whereas, the GAR-1X has a round (semicircle) nosecone emanating from a tapered bodytube. Alternately, the GAR-1X nosecone could be interpreted as a tapering nosecone with a round top.

View attachment Falcon-AIM-4X.pdf

View attachment Falcon-AIM-4X-alt.pdf

View attachment Falcon-GAR-1X.pdf

View attachment Falcon-GAR-1X-alt.pdf

Last edited:
In the second (middle) pic, is the missile on the LHS supposed to be some version of the basic Falcon? It not only has a different NC shape, it has a different body length, different fin shape (especially at the root LE), different mid-span supports for the control surfaces, larger moveable aft fins, and fins located further aft on the body. Those are just too many differences for me to believe it's just a minor model change of the same missile. Do we have any more info on what that missile was?

And all three of those pics are fairly screaming for a caption contest.

#1 "Horizontal launch violates the NAR safety code!"

That third picture is a little disturbing. Those guys look like they are really enjoying fondling that missile.

The missile you are asking about is a GAR-3 or AIM-4E radar seeker head.
Very limited production. Maybe 300 total.
Back in the early 70's Gary Lindgren and Space Age Industries kitted this very missile.
The missile was borrowed and measured and documented (both real life numbers and the eventual 30 mm diameter scale kit) in an issue of MODEL ROCKETRY magazine.
No one has come forward acknowledging still having one of these kits.
Maybe Carl could put this one on his short list for production?
Photos of this rare model are few and far between, and this one is one of the nicer ones I've found.
As for all the differences in the wings, body, root supports, etc..... I've yet to finish up with the family tree of all the different designs of the Falcon that I have data for. Some have strange control surface designs.

Chris

Maybe the Falcon on the LHS of the b&w photo is the prototype predecessor to the Super Falcon. Just a guess. Maybe I'll go over to the cemetery and ask Mr. Hughes.

Aero44G5.jpg

Back