3.9” Loc Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’d like to build the Goblin but after having trouble with my Estes Der Red Max cracking fin joints upon impact because they protrude out the bottom of the rocket, I’m wondering if the Goblins fin design tends to have the same issue? I will be using epoxy this time instead of wood glue. Should I install a boat tail on bottom so hopefully it would land on that first? It appears that it does extend the motor back by about 2” which will make the rocket not as stable. I also want to add a 40” loc removable tube to the top of it which would make it more stable but also weigh more. The boat tail costs 63% as much as the entire rocket kit and wondering if it’s worth the money in context of everything I’ve explained. Are there any tips on this?

The fins are plywood so they're much stronger. Also they're through the wall. They won't pop off unless you land really hard. Rather than invest in a boat tail, go with a bigger parachute. Also soak the fin tips in thin CA to make them rock hard and the plys won't delaminate when landing hard.

I don't think you need to extend the BT either but that's a personal preference.

Construction techniques are key to avoiding this problems. Sand the fin joints to promote adhesion.

Ya well I like the idea of a boat tail for looks but not the idea of adding more weight to the aft end of my rocket or shifting the weight back. I’ll try to build it strong

Back