3/4 Scale Nike Smoke -- Input / Opinions Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not an update with pics... Just checking in to say that this build has been moving forward in my "mind's eye." I have spent the last two weeks moving through this build in my brain, step-by-step, joint-by-joint, screw-by-screw. This is necessary as I'm finding it certainly takes a different way of looking at things when you don't rely on epoxy as a catch-all or "crutch." Best description of my current view is that I will be building from the center MMT out with jigs for setting all angles and building custom pockets for each fin to get the fit I want. This will result in an MMT with "bolt together" fin can which is only mildly related to existing airframe and its slots as all widths/lengths are changing with the lamination of the fins anyway.

It is unfortunate that the smokes are out of production. Good kit.

Ken Allen bought the full scale molds. I have dibs on the first one.

I concur. I will take pictures when I get my kit. I suspect it will be mid to late next summer.

No, it's OK, I don't need to break the bank on every flight. N to M flight profile(s) are more than enough for me with 15K to 18K+ altitudes.

Go Tim Go! Can't wait to see yours take flight! This one is now out in CA, the big trailer pad has a need for a 3/4 Smoke again in the near future!

Nikehole.jpg

I must have the previous version offered up by performance. I picked this up last winter from a guy getting out of the hobby. It has a 1 piece fin can with hollow fins. Looks like 4 sections were molded then epoxied together and the interior lined with additional fiberglass. I had 1/4" plywood fins and rings cut to fit inside the fiberglass ones for reinforcement. The gap was filled with expanding foam.

fins2.jpg

Installing the plywood fins was a major PITA. I had to cut slots in the fiberglass lining the interior of the fin can and slide each plywood fin inside the fiberglass fin. Next the centering rings were worked into position. Once they rings were lined up I had to pull the plywood fins out of the fin cavity to engage the slots cut into the rings. Worth the effort though, fincan is very strong now.

slots.jpg

fins.jpg

Motor mount tube is PML 7.5" so I have multiple options. First flight planned for Red Glare this April on 3 - 76mm 6000 Ns white loads.

I must have the previous version offered up by performance. I picked this up last winter from a guy getting out of the hobby. It has a 1 piece fin can with hollow fins. Looks like 4 sections were molded then epoxied together and the interior lined with additional fiberglass. I had 1/4" plywood fins and rings cut to fit inside the fiberglass ones for reinforcement. The gap was filled with expanding foam.

View attachment 283433

Installing the plywood fins was a major PITA. I had to cut slots in the fiberglass lining the interior of the fin can and slide each plywood fin inside the fiberglass fin. Next the centering rings were worked into position. Once they rings were lined up I had to pull the plywood fins out of the fin cavity to engage the slots cut into the rings. Worth the effort though, fincan is very strong now.

View attachment 283434

View attachment 283432

Motor mount tube is PML 7.5" so I have multiple options. First flight planned for Red Glare this April on 3 - 76mm 6000 Ns white loads.

Yeah, I think PR went away from the fin cans as the two piece clamshell fin design was just too weak. I had a smaller rocket, I think a 4" Little John with a fin can at one time. Had to reinforce it like crazy and it still cracked and needed repairs.

Last edited:
No, it's OK, I don't need to break the bank on every flight. N to M flight profile(s) are more than enough for me with 15K to 18K+ altitudes.

Tim,
If you are looking for a venue to fly this beast you might want to consider our little launch over the Labor Day weekend. Along with a few other pads, we now have a very stable, very large hydraulically lifted unistrut pad. It picked up and flew the KBMax rocket, I'm certain it would handle your Nike Smoke. We also have a waiver that should support the flight even if you go crazy!
Bob

Bob, absolutely Airfest is on the top of my list after my hip replacement. /Tim

Back