3” Fusion Rivet Holes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duodenumnums

Reaction score
I’m nearly done with SBR’s 3” Fusion for my L1 cert, following along with the very helpful NARCON video. Everything was going great except I must have had a brain fart when drilling the rivet holes to attach the nose cone to the payload bay. Instead of the 3 holes being equal distance apart I somehow managed to make it look more like an isosceles triangle. Would you recommend filling these holes and re-drilling, or do you think it’ll be ok?

F05AF297-29B0-4CD3-ADD5-812EB69BDF1E.jpeg

It’s to keep the nose cone secure. I’m not doing dual deploy at this time but it does come with an altimeter mount and I will eventually add that when I start learning how to do dual deploy.

I have not built one of these, if you put rivets in the nosecone, how does it come off to deploy the parachute?

I have not built one of these, if you put rivets in the nosecone, how does it come off to deploy the parachute?
It’s to attach the nose cone to the payload bay. The payload bay separates from the body for chute release.

It’s to attach the nose cone to the payload bay. The payload bay separates from the body for chute release.

I have not seen that technique - I will have to get one of the SBR kits one of these days, sounds interesting.

That being the case, if all you need to do is secure the nosecone, it shouldn't matter if the holes are not symmetrical.

I agree with the above-it should be fine. If you use an altimeter you'll need to ground test to confirm the amount of 4F BP needed to ensure chute deployment, so that will also demonstrate to you that the 3 rivet attachment works well.

Good Luck on the L1!

Fred

Back