2x Bullpup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd post a couple pics of my scrathbuilt 2x bullpup based on BT-80. I never think about taking pictures while I am building so this is an afterthought. In the pictures you will see that I have primed once and sanded. Overall Length will be approx 32".

2X Bullpup primed & sanded

I turned the nose and tail cones on a 36" home made 'lathe' that I threw together last Saturday. A 12" chunk of balsa hanging off the end of a drill just doesn't work so I need to have something to support the free end of the balsa block. As luck would have it I had an old motor out of a seagate hard drive. The motor had several 4-40 threaded holes in the face of the armature. I cut the heads off some 4-40 bolts, ground a point on them and screwed them into the hard drive motor. I then mounted the motor in an upright block of wood. I also mounted my drill in an upright block of wood and aligned the center of the drill to the center of the hard drive motor. Now I can mount my block of balsa (with 3/8 dowel epoxied into center of one end) and then push the sharpened 4-40 bolts on the motor face into the center of the opposite end of the balsa. I made 2 12" long nose cones (one for a bigger vesion of the Coyote) and one for the Bullpup. I also made the tail cone for the Bullpup.

I am also working on another Coyote that will be BT-80 based. This will be 1.6x larger than my first Coyote

Steve,
Nice Bullpup. You know, if you keep building these bigger rockets your going to have to find more power:D (RMS!)

How about some pictures of that lathe. Looks like it works pretty well............Larry

Hey Larry - OK I'll post some pics of my 'lathe' as long as everyone promises not to laugh. ;)

Still working on getting my hands on the 24mmRMS hardware.

Come on Aerotech - where are they?

Good looking Bullpup......... Let's see, we have your 2X bullpup (24mm) eugene's 2.26X bullpup (29mm), LaneKG and my 3X bullpup (38mm).......... Who's going to build a 54mm version????

Oh and gothique_97 is also planning a 24mm bullpup........

Originally posted by stevem
Hey Larry - OK I'll post some pics of my 'lathe' as long as everyone promises not to laugh. ;)

Still working on getting my hands on the 24mmRMS hardware.

Come on Aerotech - where are they?

I know I wouldn't laugh. Shoot, if it worked for you I might actually do it! Nice work on the nose and tailcone. It's unclear to me if you used the hard drive as the spindle portion to secure the balsa block or if you used it to actually turn or drive the piece of wood. I suppose you just used it as a spindle. Quite clever if you ask me! I have an old 500MB HDD sitting around that I could dissect just for this purpose. Thanks!

I certainly won't laugh; I make a lathe out of my 12v cordless drill and a couple of blocks of wood to turn a nose cone for my Black Brant 3. The other end of the balsa block [started as 3x3x12] was supported by a dowel stuck into wood blocks nailed to the workbench. It looked like a nose-cone-kebab for a while. It still didn't come out nearly as well as I hoped. I've sworn myself off trying it again.

here's a picture of my 2x Bullpup;

everything is from scratch on this rocket including decals.

hopefully weather will give me a chance to launch it soon.

Originally posted by stevem
here's a picture of my 2x Bullpup

Man, that turned out great!!!!!!!!!........... Can't wait for some launch pics.........

I should have my 3X Bullpup finished soon........

Back