2nd Annual TRF Gathering

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenParker

Reaction score
The TRF admins and mods are planning the 2nd Annual TRF Gathering, once again to be held at Whitakers, NC. The dates are Saturday, April 24th, and Sunday, April 25th.

At this time, Carl, Phil, Mark and I are definitely going to be there. Jase is examining the situation and is hoping that he will be able to make the trip up from Texas. For Kermie, it sounds like he is going to save his long distance trip for LDRS. (The TRF mods and admins are also planning a strong appearance at LDRS in 2004) The amazing news is that Mighty Milo might even make an appearance - if he and Mrs Milo aren't in Italy at that time picking up their custom built his'n'hers Ferraris.

When Eugenefl was in for his visit this weekend and the topic of the 2nd Annual Gathering came up, Eugene indicated that he would probably make the trip.

We are praying regularly to the weather gods for better weather for the gathering for 2004. A virgin (rocket) will be sacrificed at each launch between now and April in a maximum effort to appease the weather gods.

C'mon down !!!

Too far ahead to tell 100% whether I can make it, but I'd love to come! I'll mark the calendar as soon as I get it ;)

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!

WOOHOOO!!

Ok....
Calm down.....it's just an annual TRF meet....
AM I CRAZY??? NO WAY AM I GONNA CALM DOWN!!!

Gots lotsa stuff to do....gotta plan gotta plan......Eugene, can I ride with you???????????????

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jason

ok, someone throw a wet towel over Jason, 'k? :D :D :D

I will be planning our tour schedule for '04 this month and hope to be able to attend.

Originally posted by jflis
ok, someone throw a wet towel over Jason, 'k? :D :D :D

I will be planning our tour schedule for '04 this month and hope to be able to attend.

Wow - a FlisKits tour! How cool is that? Jim, you leasing a tour bus and slapping a mammoth "FlisKits" logo on the side? :D If you need some groupie chicks to "hang out" in the bus and pose with FlisKits rockets in bikini let me know. (Oh, Just kidding....LOL!) The thought of FlisKits touring sounds really cool. Maybe you can plan on attending more Tour de Deuce launches!

Jason, chill.....:D :D :D It's far enough in advance that I should be able to plan accordingly. I am planning on going as last year's weather totally blew chunks. Keep in mind we've got SEARS (Alabama) in February although this should have no bearing on my work vacation days or ability to make another road trip. And yes, you can ride with us if your family is unable to make it.

BTW, I think I will make arrangements to stay at the local motel/hotel right at Whitakers so that I can partake in the TRF gathering festivities.

Originally posted by KenParker
The TRF admins and mods are planning the 2nd Annual TRF Gathering, once again to be held at Whitakers, NC. The dates are Saturday, April 24th, and Sunday, April 25th.

C'mon down !!!

Sounds like a lot of fun........ I will mark my calendar and try my very best to get that weekend off....... It should only be about a 3 1/2 hour drive................

Okay...it's a drive...maybe 10hrs. But, I should have the 4" Cheorkee D done by then...well maybe everything except the decals (I'm snoring here from the wait) so should I take this oppertunity to accomplish my cert...level one?!

How many days?

John

Since Whitakers is my home field and only about an hour drive for me, I'll be there. I guess this means we all need to build new rockets to unveil there, Right? That's what I'm going to tell my wife anyway. Maybe it'll work. ;)

Last year the 2003 TRF gathering at Whitakers was shortened on Saturday by some early morning rain and then some afternoon thunder storms but Sunday was perfect flyin' weather, and flyin' we did. This year I'll try not to miss the TRF group photo. I was trying to retrieve my rocket that was dangling atop a tree. The nosecone, shockcord and chute were still up there last time I looked, but I got everything else back.

I agree with Ken. A virgin rocket should be sacrificed at each launch to please the weather gods.
Jim, You should take advantage of the situation and have a sale on some "Pretty Virgin FlisKits" for us to sacrificed. :D:D:D

Man, I can't wait!
Paul

You don't want to sacrifice a FlisKit now, do you?

I won't be able to attend, as I am going on a HUGE trip this summer and *hopefully* I can go to NSL for a birthday present.

Paul - ya definitely gotta bring the Dart and the Bowling Pin rockets. Those are really really unusual.

Glad to hear that you will be there.

Ken,
The Sky Dart will defiantly be there. Still working on the Ten Pin but should be done and have a test flight on it by then. I have another design I'd love to put together and unveil at the 2004 TRF gathering at Whitakers. Only time and money will tell. If you like unusual rockets, you'll love this one. If it works out I'll post some construction photos shortly before the gathering.

Paul

marking the date down in my calendar...where is Whitakers from Greensboro?

People fly everything at Whitakers. They have a rack for low power, and they have pads for high power. It's not a huge gathering. Theyre are 4 low power pads and 6 high power. A typical turnout is around 20 to 30 people. There is a good mix of low, mid, and high power. There are usually a couple of families there. Since the Rocketry Challenge tv shows, more people and more families are starting to show up.

They also have Hypertek GSE, on which our own Mark Brown has done quite a bit of maintenance work.

It's a pretty good field. Not like out west, but pretty good for the east side of the country. The field we are in is a thousand acres, and it is surrounded by other fields.

The only thing that tends to cause problems is the weather. The Carolina's are famous (infamous?) for afternoon thundershowers. But, as we have stated before, we are planning on regular prayer and sacrifices to the weather gods to try to prevent a problem in April.

C'mon down - it'll be fun !!!!!

Jim, if you're coming, please bring lots of goodies....I'll bring cash ;)

Right now, it's in our plans. We will have to see how our schedule pans out. We should have something posted some time this month

jim

Originally posted by KenParker
.....The only thing that tends to cause problems is the weather. ....
C'mon down - it'll be fun !!!!!

Despite one day being rained out, it definitely was fun!

The only other thing are the land mines...but after a few hours of flying you get used to them.

Oh, and if you have a cow phobia, the source of them landmines, you may have other issues:).

OK Dick, Lets not get a certain Moderator that we know to have bovine phobia all concerned before the meet. I'm sure he'll be attending the 2004 TRF gathering and hopefully won't have an en"cow"nter. :D

Paul

Paul,

Let not speak of his "cow"ardace, as he may go "bull"istic. From what I "herd", he runs away from them until his "calf's" burn. But we all know this is a "moo"t point, as he wouldn't be seen in the field within a mile of them. :)

Carl

Originally posted by PAH
OK Dick, Lets not get a certain Moderator that we know to have bovine phobia all concerned before the meet. I'm sure he'll be attending the 2004 TRF gathering and hopefully won't have an en"cow"nter. :D

And who is that Moderator? I'd like to kick him in the knee. LOL...

OK everyone, don't "udder" a word about bovine phobia. Phil's here now and we don't want to "bull"y him around. If he goes "bull"istic as Carl said, he might kick us in the "loin" and make us fall on our "rump". I think we've "milk"ed this one for all its worth. :D:D:D

Paul

Man, look what I started :rolleyes: But then, what would TRF be without an occasional cow thread :p But then, I guess I hijacked this thread with off topic stuff :kill:

Back on topic: Soooo, Dick, are you planning on being there at the 2nd annual TRF Gathering? :)

Phil, I am certainly going to try. Too far in advance to tell for sure. Should have my EMRR calendar soon and can being filling in the schedule :)

I have been talking with my wife about trips / plans for this spring...... I am going to make this launch........ I will have a budget that will allow me to go both days with a stay in a motel / hotel saturday night........ How expense should I expect that room to be? Where is everyone else staying? Or are most people close enough that they can go home that night?

Now I just have to make sure I have that saturday off from work....

Sounds like a good event to add to the Semroc "Tour." We will be there.

Back