2nd Annual TRF Gathering

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
north carolina? hmm... wonder if my mom wants to go on a little vacation...

If he does he might have to moo ve rapidly.
Sorry wont be able to make it as the UK is a little far to come, hey maybe we can have one over here. How about it a TRF meet for us Brits?

David

Okay folks, I know that there are at least a few of us who are not free to travel all the way to the east coast for a launch. Especially when you're trying to travel with a small armada of fragile rockets. And besides, the weather in the socal desert beats anything back east any day of the year.

So is there anyone who wants to set up a TRF-West gathering?

WW

A UK trip might be doable for me in the near future.

Airfares are DIRT cheap. Sometimes as low as $200 or less round trip.

And my sister lives in London.

Now the UK is a big country where would the UK contingent meet?

sandman

Hi Sandman
At the present I don't know as I just thought of the idea, but if enought of us are interested over here I would be willing to try and arrange it. Where I dont know possibly in the south? I am open to sugestions ( clean please).

David

Hey wwattles, a west meet sounds good to me. i know we got at least 5 TRFers in the So. cal. area. we all could meet sooner, but maybe we could have the "official" meet at ROCstock XIX this June. :cool:

Just found out that I can't be there for the 24th-25th as my son is playing soccer in Concord those days

I was looking forward to meeting you all. :(

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I have been talking with my wife about trips / plans for this spring...... I am going to make this launch........ I will have a budget that will allow me to go both days with a stay in a motel / hotel saturday night........ How expense should I expect that room to be? Where is everyone else staying? Or are most people close enough that they can go home that night?

so, is there a close by hotel? perhaps an "offical" hotel for TRF launch 2004? i'm sure i can find someplace to stay but it would be fun to have a place where a group of us are staying.

We'll post the hotel where the TRF mods and admins will be staying soon - we are still .... uh.... "discussing" it.

We had been staying in a Holiday Inn, which has changed hands and been renamed a few times. Then, Mark and Phil tried a different motel on their last trip - trouble with it is that it doesn't have very many rooms that have easy access from the parking lot - something that is usually a significant concern to rocketeers. It's no fun having to carry L2 or L3 birds through a lobby, etc, to get them to your room at night so you can prep them.

We'll finish our argument soon and post the motel where the TRF mods and admins will be staying.

Although... we had other people last year who chose different places for one reason or another. As an example, I think rstaff chose a different motel that allowed pets, because he and his lovely better half brought their dog.

More later.

Originally posted by KenParker
As an example, I think rstaff chose a different motel that allowed pets, because he and his lovely better half brought their dog.

More later.

Yep, I'll be in this boat as well. Pets. Although, I typically stay in Winston Salem, but I think I want to be around the action in case the weather is bad one day. This way we're close by for an attempt at day 2.

Just a funny story about the hotel Mark and I stayed at. Someone painted several of the cars in the parking lot that night. Paint was splattered on Mark's truck. But if that doesn't give you the feeling it isn't a good place to stay... I was in Rocky Mount last weekend and I mentioned the hotel to my cousin-in-law and she looked at me funny. When I asked why she relayed this story: Apparently when the hooker this guy hired overdosed on drugs, instead of calling the cops he put the body in the box under the bed and left. But to make matters worse, the room was rented like 2 more times with people sleeping in the bed over the body. eeeeek! Eventually the smell came and that was it for that. I remember this case being in the newspapers so it isn't an urban legend but didn't realize it was at that hotel. :(

Anyway, moral to the story: Maybe we shouldn't stay at the Fairfield Inn. I may try to camp out there at the field depending on the weather.

On the plus side of that, Mark and I found a real good Chinese restaurant near by.

Originally posted by PGerringer
Anyway, moral to the story: Maybe we shouldn't stay at the Fairfield Inn.

Well, from now on I am going to check under to bed to see if there's a dead hooker there.......

THAT'S IT!!!

I'm camping at the field!

At least at the field I'll know what that smell is coming from!

sandman

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Well, from now on I am going to check under to bed to see if there's a dead hooker there.......

That's why you travel with a dog - they'll smell anything foul. ;)

Originally posted by eugenefl
That's why you travel with a dog - they'll smell anything foul. ;)

Well, don't let your dog around Ken, your poor dog would go nuts sniffing. :D

I know where you live, Gerringer.

And the next time I come to visit, I'm bringing a cow with me.

Originally posted by PGerringer
Well, don't let your dog around Ken, your poor dog would go nuts sniffing. :D
BRAHAAWWWHEEHEEHeeheeha. What a mental picture that is! :D

Originally posted by PGerringer:
I may try to camp out there at the field depending on the weather.
Ya' know, the cows come right up to your tent at night to see what's going on. You might open your tent first thing in the morning to be greeted by a cow 6" from your face chewin' on a cud.:eek:

Paul

I'm not sure which hotel Mark and Phil had probelms with last year, but I had bad luck with what was the Dortches Inn. I made my reservation a couple of months ahead of time. A couple of days before the launch, I had to call to cancel - they did not have my reservation on the books - now that would have been a mess! I'm not sure if I will use them this year. So, l'm waiting to hear what you guys decide. :)

Be sure to message me if/when you decide to go, I want to be there to meet you guys! :D

ok... I am thinking about going... I can get some tickets pretty cheap if I buy them soon... but I need to make other arrangements first. And I need to save as much $$$ as possible, because I don't have much to spend :(

Jim-Flis - Have you decided if you are going. I would like to "rent" some space in your truck for some of my rocket stuff. If I fly, I don't think I'll get very far with my Magnum in an airport.

Hotel/Camping - I was wondering if anybody would like to share a room to split costs? Or if you would like a camp buddy, I could bring my own tent. Send me an PM or EM if you would like to help.

Air-travel - I need to know what is the closest airport. I will also need somebody to pick me up at the airport... and bring me back when it is time to leave.

I need to make the arrangements soon... because air-fare costs go up as the date gets closer.

I'm not sure about the airport but I'm still planning on camping. April would be a good time of the year to camp. There is a whole string of hotels near the Rocky Mount "medical park" (hospital). Recently we (the wife and I) have stayed at the Holiday Inn (over priced and nasty) and the Courtyard Mariott (very clean and affordable). If forced to stay in Rocky Mount again, it will be at the Courtyard. It is about 4 miles East on 64 after the 95/64 junction. This means it would be about 30 minutes from the field but there are quite a few options for both sleeping and food. I also think it is close to the airport but I'm not sure.

So, n3tjm I will definitely be a camp buddy. We can share camps but I'm going to be under a tarp with only room for 1. I should have enough cooking utensils for 2 though. Or, I should have plenty of room in the car to drive more than 1 out to eat. Also, just let me know when your flight would come in and I will see what I can work out for picking you up and dropping you off.

Originally posted by n3tjm
Hotel/Camping - I was wondering if anybody would like to share a room to split costs?

I plan to go, but only spending the night saturday night....... It's a good idea about sharing a room and splitting costs..... more money for motors!!!!!!!

Ok... looks like I am going :D. Got the blessing from the father... he is the one that has to take me to the airport. I guess he can't complain to much... next week he is going to Florida for a live steam train convention. Jim agreed to take some of my stuff down for me :). Phil and I are camping with the cows (mooo!) Does anyone have a J350 and some H128's I can buy off of them? I will need to buy them on location. I will need to borrow a case for the J though...

Ken Allan from Performance Hobbies is the on site vendor. Hopefully he will be there for your motor needs.

looks like *i'm* going too :)

**somebody's** gotta bring Doug's stuff :)

hopefully will be doing a kit announcement there as well!

jim

Back