29mm VonKarmen Nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neutronium95

Reaction score
I am working on a high altitude 29mm rocket. It will be spending a significant portion of its flight at mach (CTI I224 staging to another I224) and I have been looking for a commercially available one. Failing that what is the standard procedure for making composite nose cones. This will be my first major composite layup, but I will have lots of help from my dad who has done a good amount of work with them. PS this rocket should fly at Plaster Blaster and could set the staged J record. Thank you.

I am working on a high altitude 29mm rocket. It will be spending a significant portion of its flight at mach (CTI I224 staging to another I224) and I have been looking for a commercially available one. Failing that what is the standard procedure for making composite nose cones. This will be my first major composite layup, but I will have lots of help from my dad who has done a good amount of work with them. PS this rocket should fly at Plaster Blaster and could set the staged J record. Thank you.

Sounds like quite the challenge. The smallest commercial VK I know of is 38mm.

Over on Rocketry Planet, someone recently posted a quickie getting started guide: https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7178

Just a quick rules reminder: Don't forget to get your L2 cert ahead of time. Cert flights are required to be single stage, so this can't be used as your L2 flight.

Good Luck!

I will be building and prepping it, but my dad will fly it as he is a L2. I am currently 15 and so I need to wait 3 more years before L2.

I will be building and prepping it, but my dad will fly it as he is a L2. I am currently 15 and so I need to wait 3 more years before L2.

That's cool. Wish my dad were into it when I was your age. I saw the Jr. L1, and thought you might be going BIG for the L2.

A cert flight is just another rocket flight in my book. The only reason to "play it safe" in my book is if you only have 1 rocket available. My first L2, I flew a dart with a simulated altitude of ~8000. Had a motor CATO, and no other rocket on hand as a backup plan. :(

Next time out, I brought 6 rockets which could take J motors, though 2 of them I would be hesitant to fly with a J. Armed with an extensive backup plan, of course the first flight was perfect. :rolleyes:

I don't know about that..A VK cone is kind of a tricky shape to mold,especially one that small..But what do I know? I just use the stuff and not make 'em!;)

Latest posts

Back