29mm Upscale Astron Sprint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got it finished!

Man, I'm proud to say...this is my best one yet!

The fillets were done with Apogee's Epoxy Clay...man, wonderful stuff! I got some a while back and never used it then I read the container...smooth with a wet finger! Way way cool!

It's a tad heavy but...I'll just use a bigger motor!:D

YES....veeerrry nice....

I got the decals from Phred in the mail today. I have some sanding to do, then mine will be ready for primer and paint.

How much did yours end up weighing? Have you picked a chute size yet?

Looks great Gordon. (I'm not sure if I want to post a picture of mine after seeing yours)

Mine weighs a ton!

I don't care...she'll go plenty high!

I used a BT-56 size set and made up the vertical stipes on top.

I was out of town on business last week, so I haven't had much time to work on the "Maxi Sprint". It was a bit warmer today, so I put the first coat of Kilz primer on...

(Semroc Laser-X for scale....)

That is sweet!

I'm really glad to see some of these being built.

Well...of course they are going to be built! Although sometimes I'm afraid to put a coat of paint on those gorgeous Sandman parts.

I need to finish this one up so I can get started on all the other projects. :D (Upscale Interceptor for example)

Hmmm....so it looks like I'm making parts faster than you guys can build stuff!:D

OK...I'll go work on the Soyuz some more.:)

Man, that is HUGE!! I thought the BT-56 version I am working on was big. (sorry, it is still in primer Sandman.... :( )

sandman... did you say G37 ??? ;)

Phred

IT'S DONE!!

well....almost....I still have to decide what to do about the parachute. Sorry, no pictures. We left the digital camera at Mema's house over the Christmas holidays:rolleyes:

The kitchen scales showed it to be 17 oz without the chute or motor. Yeow...this thing is a porker. The BT80H heavy tube is tough though. I estimate it'll be around 24-25 oz fully loaded and ready to rock-n-roll.

So Gordon, have you selected a chute for yours yet? Has it flown? I'm thinking a 36" chute would be OK. I might see if edwardw could sew up one of his teacup chutes for it. I'm just not sure what size would be best. I don't want it to come down too fast, but then again, with the wind we get in Oklahoma, I don't want it to drift into the next county.

John

I think I'll have my wife sew me up a 36" nylon chute.

Mine's pretty heavy!

My biggest problem is finding someplace to fly this monster...Whitaker for sure!

Great pics. I love the WL motors - they have a great flame.

Too Cool! Awesome pictures.

I've flown mine twice on F20's. I guess I'm going to have to step it up to keep pace with ol' Sandman.

(where did I put those G64 reloads anyway?.....G77Redline...hmmmm)

:)

So what kind of altitude do you think you got on the G40 Gordon?

So what kind of altitude do you think you got on the G40 Gordon?

The motor chuffed and slowly lifted off to about 50' up then, WHAMMO!!! It took off!

Unfortunately it weathercocked a bit and took off at about oh...a 75 degree angle...really fast!

I'd guesstimate it at about 2,000 feet. It's a really big rocket and it was just a tiny speck!

How high??/ Plenty high!:)

My wifes new X-form design chute worked GREAT!

Thanks, Honey!

Back