29mm RMS Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
I have a 29-30/120 motor assembly and casing.

cool

I want to fly an H165 Redline, so I buy a 29-180 case.

So far so good.

I take all the little pieces out of the baggie for the redline and I find:

1. The delay element does not fit in the forward enclosure

2. The BP charge and it's red cap are too large for the nipple on the forward enclosure

3. The forward gasket is too large to fit in the forward enclosure.

What have I done wrong?

BTW, a F40 reload seems to fit OK.

did you buy just the 29/180 case, with out the forward and rear closures? doesn't the 29/180 take different end fittings?

I have an AT 29/40-120 and a Dr Rocket 29/180, which looks like the AT 29/180 in the catalog.

other than both being 29mm, the "hobby line" motor (29/40-120) is entirely different than the 29mm motors. that confused me too at first.

heh....I bet the threads on the closures are shorter than the threads on the 29/180 case too. You need to go out and buy yourself a 29mm forward and aft closure. About $36

Weird that AT has 1 consumer case for the 29mm and 5 'normal' motor casings.

I had bought the 29-40/120 as a complete set and made the supposition that all I needed was a new case to move up to the 180.

I'm getting the uneasy feeling that makes mee a silly rocket boy...

It's all right - you're kind of a silly rocket boy, but not bad...:D Others are correct in that you need the fore and aft closures for the 180 casing. They are different than the ones on the 40-120 casing. You going for a cert with that H165?

*edit* Never mind - just noticed you already certed...lol

Loopy

I planned to cert with the H165, really wanted to see some red flame. Got stymied by the closure.

Anybody got a set of closures they wanna sell cheap?

Phoo.

If you can spare the extra cash, just buy a complete 29/240 motor. The closures will fit the 180, and then you'll have the complete basic 29mm HPR set. If not, most any vendor that sells the cases should have the closures available also.

Depending on how often you plan on using the motors for that case, you may wish to just fire an email along your club's listserv to see if you can borrow someone's closures for your cert flight. I have never failed to have someone offer up a closure or an entire case on loan.

Back