29mm Minimum Diameter Dual Deploy Go Devil

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I've got two Go-Devils I need to get to building. I have some ideas that differ from yours, but I will be referencing this thread if I run into some implementation roadblocks. I'll be sure to post up some of my progress for all to see also :)

Nice. I've got two Go-Devils I need to get to building. I have some ideas that differ from yours, but I will be referencing this thread if I run into some implementation roadblocks. I'll be sure to post up some of my progress for all to see also :)

I hope to fly it next weekend or the weekend after that, will post a report on how it goes

In prep of flying this rocket next weekend, I finished the extensions for the motor retention system. In a future minimum diameter build, I still want to try out the "nothing by knots" system Buckeye recommended, but since I had already epoxied in the bulkhead/eye bolt version, I proceeded with these extensions. The extensions are nothing more than 1/4-20 threaded rod with a 1/4-20 coupler JB Welded to the end and cut to size. It is very secure.

PXL_20210502_143510452.jpg

Did you tap the forward closure of the 29 40-120 hobby motor? Can it still be used without the threaded rod?

Did you tap the forward closure of the 29 40-120 hobby motor? Can it still be used without the threaded rod?

I did tap the one on the 29/40-120, but I used an extra forward closure I had on hand, so I still have an unmodified one to use when I want to use the case as intended.

Since they do not make a threaded forward closure for that case, I filled the cavity up with JB Weld, drilled the proper hole and tapped it. No idea if it will hold, but mainly wanted to try this because I am interested if it will work well. To be clear - there is absolutely no real need to go through this, the 29/40-120 will hold in with a friction fit, no problem. I have done it many times before. This was more of a "because it was there" reason :)

PXL_20210425_000816120.jpg

PXL_20210425_191912035.jpg

PXL_20210425_191939472.jpg

PXL_20210425_192013394.jpg

Last edited:
With the help of Duplicolor Engine primer, paint and clearcoat, I was able to get the rocket completed today. Love Duplicolor - you only need to wait 10 min between coats and layers. Makes it so much easier.

I bondo’ed the fillets and ends and let that cure. After sanding out the bondo, everything was pretty smooth. I wet sanded the whole fin can, taped off the end and shot it with Duplicolor primer. I primed and wet sanded with 800 grit until everything was smooth, then shot it with Duplicolor Engine Black. After the last coat of black, I gave it about 15 min to cure, then gave the whole rocket 3 coats of Duplicolor Engine Gloss Clear.

The rocket came with decals, but I kind of like the slick and clean look of this without them. I think I am going to keep them off for now.

End weight is 506 grams/ 1.12 pounds. I plan to fly it with fly-away rail guides, so no lugs/buttons needed.

View attachment 461440

View attachment 461441

View attachment 461442

View attachment 461443

Those are some of the best fins I have ever seen… you should be very proud 🙏

Absolutely - love the Additive Aerospace sleds - have a bunch of them in each size and just got a new order of camera shrouds from them earlier this week.

Oddly, they don't have anything on their site in 29mm. 38mm is as small as they go.

I used to have a 29mm variant, but it never sold particularly well, and was a lot of work for its size/price. I lost the design files in a computer crash and never had the incentive to remake them.

I did tap the one on the 29/40-120, but I used an extra forward closure I had on hand, so I still have an unmodified one to use when I want to use the case as intended.

Since they do not make a threaded forward closure for that case, I filled the cavity up with JB Weld, drilled the proper hole and tapped it. No idea if it will hold, but mainly wanted to try this because I am interested if it will work well. To be clear - there is absolutely no real need to go through this, the 29/40-120 will hold in with a friction fit, no problem. I have done it many times before. This was more of a "because it was there" reason :)

View attachment 462570

View attachment 462571

View attachment 462572

View attachment 462573
I just have a bolt small enough to fit up through the unmodified charge hole. This looks way nicer.

Back