29mm MD rocket tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from the Amazon deal, both the items need cell phone service and look much too big for 29mm rocket.

You might email Giant Leap Rocketry and see if the Trackimo with fit. It too is cell phone based but I suspect it would be too big also.

You have to remember added weight will cut down on the altitude but is the price you pay to have a better chance of recovering the rocket.

Kurt

The other alternative is to use RDF. Get a small transmitter and a receiver and yagi antenna. It's not as glamorous or high tech as GPS, but it works in small spaces and small rockets and with a little practice and skill, can be just as effective. No cell service required.

Cris at Eggtimer just released a eggfinder mini which will work in a 18mm tube I believe. Around $100 with either a USB or LCD receiver I think. Check the vendor forum.

Last edited:
I'm with Handeman on RDF for a project this small. Andrew sounds like he's precocious with all things rocketry. It should be a piece of cake for him to get a Ham Radio Technician's license and it's cheap to do so. That would open up
a lot of reliable RDF options for his 29mm MD. The EggFinder Mini could be designed into the rocket but it will detract from the altitude he seeks. I do think GPS would be easier but RDF would still be workable for this project.
I got a PADI Junior Diver C-card when I was 12 years old (my brother was 10!) and soloed a Grumman Yankee when I was 16. Both me and my brother passed the written test for Advanced Diver but couldn't easily make the 6 or 7 open water
dives to complete the certification. I remember I got a 98 on the test. Youth has its advantages with enthusiasm!! Kurt

Back