• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 29mm EX motor CF tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
While I wait for the colder days to arrive to work with prepregs, I got ahold of a mandrel at 1.063” OD, which I believe is the perfect size for the 29mm motor casing. It will be filament wound with 57 degree angles as well as some UNI layers to give it strength down the length of the tube. Max length will be 30” and OD of the tube will be a little over 1.125” assuming my math is right on the layers. Fiber will be IM2 carbon and the resin Tg of 390F.

I would like $50 each plus shipping. Please PM if interested, thank you.

But wouldn't the final OD then be larger than 29mm?

But wouldn't the final OD then be larger than 29mm?

Yes, but it is up to you on how thick you want it and how it can be turned down to your use. I would like to make one where the OD is 1.27”, this way you can have the forward section machined to act as a coupler for the nose cone and minimum weight, now there’s an idea :)

The aluminum tubing I use for 29 mm motors is 1.125" od and either 0.058" wall (1.009" id) or 0.065" wall (0.995" id). Could a 1" mandrel be used instead of the 1 1/16" one?

Best -- Terry

1.063" is the same as Aerotech's SU casing walls, but I also too think 1.005" would be better as it then matches EX hardware and thus what people more likely have for liners.

Is there really a market for these type of liners at 29mm?
Are they for attempted end-burners?

Is there really a market for these type of liners at 29mm?
Are they for attempted end-burners?
What REK is proposing is a casing, not a liner. It really needs to be kept at or under 29mm o.d. or it won't fit smaller motor mounts.

An end burner would need better (non-melting) liners. Probably thicker too. (A stronger liner isn't much use if the epoxy begins to melt during the burn.)

As for casting tubes and liners, I think BMS and erocket carry cardboard tubes that work as casting/liner tubes.

Best -- Terry

The aluminum tubing I use for 29 mm motors is 1.125" od and either 0.058" wall (1.009" id) or 0.065" wall (0.995" id). Could a 1" mandrel be used instead of the 1 1/16" one?

Best -- Terry

I will be looking into getting a 1” version. I’ll let you guys know when I get one.

A 1/32" wall is too thin for motors.
We use 1/32” wall for our long-burning G & H motors, to accommodate a thicker liner. Also, Composite Dynamics motors used 1/32” wall 24 & 29mm O.D. filament-wound fiberglass cases. It works fine for 500 PSI and lower chamber pressures.

or example:
https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/29...glass_Casing_Thin_Wall/p1577809_20536419.aspx
https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/Phenolic_Motor_Liner_29mm_Thick_Wall/p1577809_20536310.aspx

Back