29mm Deuce's Wild! Woohoo!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by slim_t
So Euegene, have you flown this thing yet?
I know you didn't at the SEARS launch because of the conditions, and since you didn't get to at Whitakers, I was just wondering if maybe you've flown it at home or somewhere else?

Remember my 24mm one with the video cam payload that I brought to the SEARS launch? Guess what, it hasn't flown yet either. :rolleyes:

I hope to fly it soon though, of course. ;)

Good luck whenever you do get to fly it. Looks great by the way.

Tim

Nope. Zero flights thus far. I did pick up a pack of F20-7Ws at Whitakers just so that I could bring them back home for a maiden flight here in Tampa. I'll have liftoff pictures once it goes.

Thanks for the compliment on the paint. It *does* look sweet!

Yeah c'mon Eugene fly that Deuce !
Hopefully my 3" Jayhawk will be ready by the next HERC launch as well and we can have some sort of composite cluster flyoff or something.

I sure hope you fly the big deuce, especially with two f-20s I love the way they sound.

Originally posted by Zippy
Hopefully my 3" Jayhawk will be ready by the next HERC launch as well and we can have some sort of composite cluster flyoff or something.

I guess youse guys are gonna want me to build some kind of composite cluster also, huh?

OK! :D :D

Jason

I guess youse guys are gonna want me to build some kind of composite cluster also, huh?

Did we really have to talk you into it ? C'mon fly that cluster Jason !

Ok, ok...

I've got my rebuilt and revamped NCR Phantom 4000 that'll I'll get out there to fly on a G80 and two E9's. Does that count?

I've got sooooOOOOoooo many projects I am going to do over the summer. One that is a definate is a composite 2-stager that'll take it's first flight on a G80 to a F25....droool!! Oops....maybe I should kept quiet about that....:rolleyes:

Jason

I've got my rebuilt and revamped NCR Phantom 4000 that'll I'll get out there to fly on a G80 and two E9's. Does that count?
Close enough. How are you gonna light those ? I assume the E9's are BP right ?

Originally posted by Zippy
Close enough. How are you gonna light those ? I assume the E9's are BP right ?

Mike, my 4" DRM flew on a G80-4 and 2 E9Ps at Whitakers. The G80T took no time at all to come to pressure. There was probably a fraction of a second delay between the E9s and G80 igniting. It was nearly simultaneous.

Originally posted by jetra2

Go for it! Heck, Carl's first composite cluster was the '38-Special!! :D

There was probably a fraction of a second delay between the E9s and G80 igniting. It was nearly simultaneous.
So it seems that mixing BP and Blue Thunder is no problem. Just push the button and let 'em rip. Blue Thunder does ignite easy and thats one reason I'm planning on 2 F52's in the Jayhawk.

If it were me I would do it. clustering composite motors hmmmmm I like the sound of that. Seeing someone else take a chance at the hwy 56 field for once would be cool.

Seeing someone else take a chance at the hwy 56 field for once would be cool.
Well Joe I don't know how much of a chance I'll actually be taking myself altitude wise on 2 F52's since I can't accurately RocSim this model. I'm guessing 1200' but it could drift awhile under the 42" chute I'm using. The chutes an X-form though so hopefully it will come down in the field. I haven't finished the model yet though so I don't know what it's weight will be. If I need to I'll stuff 2 G64's in it and then it will go way up there. :)

clustering composite motors hmmmmm I like the sound of that

Well, there have been some slightly canted things done with that... Check out Carl's 38mm Deuce and 38mm Tres. Both fliskits upsclaes, and they are sweet on smoky motors.

Greetings all! The 29mm Deuce saw the skies for the first time today at the local HERC club launch! The boost off of the rail was FAST! The dual F20Ws produced tons of smoke and plenty of flame! From the ground I can estimate that the Deuce hit about 1300ft. It was a spec in the sky.

I wish I could say that the flight was straight as an arrow, but unfortunately the flight had an uncharacteristic spin due to some warped fins. (Grrr...cheap plywood!) The dual smoke trails made a perfect double-helix at one point. It was an otherwise high and beautiful flight.

Recovery for this 1lbs 15oz rocket was under a LOC 28" chute. All components recovered safely.

Now that is a B-E-A-Utiful pick of a Deuce in action...Excellent eugenefl.

Originally posted by midpwrguy
Did you guys notice the ignitor in mid air? PERFECT shot Eugenefl.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I've got the timing on that camera down pat. I usually take the pictures at high res (2MP), stand back a little, and crop in to get the best of the action.

BTW, I used FireStar igniters in that "pig." Joe M. (letsflyhigh) got me started on those. He's used them in all sorts of composite clusters. Check out the "EVENTS" forum under HERC 7/17 for a fantastic liftoff shot of his 4-29SS burning FOUR F20s!

The Deuce phenomenon continues! Great pix Eugenio and congrats on the successful flight!

Although all kits, we must have had a dozen Deuce's fly today at CMASS (pix tomorrow).

Oh, and the Deuce made the cover of Sprocketry again! :D

Originally posted by eugenefl

Recovery for this 1lbs 15oz rocket was under a LOC 28" chute. All components recovered safely.

Hey I caught a shot of that! :) Here you go!

I can't tell if the spot to the left is a bird or wadding. I don't remember any birds,
so it must be wadding.

Originally posted by brianc
Hey I caught a shot of that! :) Here you go!

I can't tell if the spot to the left is a bird or wadding. I don't remember any birds,
so it must be wadding.

Kewl! That's a nice recovery shot. You must have a good 5x or better zoom on that camera. Either that or 3MP+ to be able to crop and still have that good of an image. That looks like a bird checking things out. :) Nice pic. Thanks!

Jim, which Deuce made the cover? Oh jeez, now I get to chew fingernails while waiting for SPR.

Eugenio,

It was Walt Evans' black and white playing card painted Deuce from NARCON. It's a great shot :)

jim

... somewhere 'cause I can't get both motors to work simultaneously :rolleyes: !!! This time (yesterday prior to the upscaled A.C.M.E. maiden flight) I tried with 2 AT I357T (Olsen and Co-Pilot) but just one lit... the other igniter didn't even burn probably because of the weak launch controller...

As I am used to, no problem, the Deuce kept stabilty, apogeed at 550' and dropped both apogee and main laundry out for a soft touchdown.

ME NO GLORY YET :(

Few pics:

- here she is on the rail:

https://www.argoshpr.ch/Images/MIR_2004_Dany2/P7180095.JPG

- again on asym thrust:

https://www.argoshpr.ch/Images/MIR_2004_Dany2/P7180100.JPG

- up & away on one motor:

https://www.argoshpr.ch/Images/MIR_2004_Dany2/P7180101.JPG

- the only planned part of the flight: coasting after motor(s) burnout:

https://www.argoshpr.ch/Images/MIR_2004_Dany2/P7180102.JPG

No recovery pics again 'cause we were all swearing...

Sorry Eugenio for having invaded your post but I thought it fitted...

Originally posted by g_boxwood
Sorry Eugenio for having invaded your post but I thought it fitted...

No apology needed!

Well, look on the brightside - at least you don't have to rebuild a crashed Deuce after a failed dual motor ignition!!!

Very cool Deuce. You'll get it soon enough. Thanks for posting those images.

I just thought I'd chime in one more time in this thread to show another launch update. This is only flight number two. If the propellant formula ever changes I'll post new pics. Enjoy! (Flight on dual F20s again)

attachment.php

Back