29mm CA/V2 Motor Retention

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

Reaction score
I have an Estes Canadian Arrow that I will be converting to a 29mm powered V2. This is my first 29mm mount. I understand the general idea that the flange on the casing replaces the engine block and that I need some form of retention to keep the casing from falling out. My question is how do I do this on the V2? The boattail does not allow the aft CR to be visible. Is there a way to do this on this rocket without making it look like something out of Mater's front yard?

If it helps I plan on using the RouseTech 29/40-120 casing.

Thanks!
-Jim

I ran into the same issue with my Candian arrow that I converted to an A4B (winged V2). I just use tight friction fitting (I often have to use plyers to remove the casing). If you extend the motor mount tube a bit you can also do an external tape wrap. Besides the appearence factor I could not justify spending much more on the retension system then I did on the rocket itself!

on one of mine I used a 29mm engine hook I robbed from an aerotech kit.
I cut a small notch in the boattail to allow it to spring ,
once loaded I would secure it to the case with a wire twist.

on annother rocket I shaped a piece out of a hardwood dowel and epoxied it on to the boat tail. with a little filling and sanding it' looks molded in. I used the typical screw and mirror clip

retention I'ts part of the challenge to me,, resorting to masking tape is the route of defeat. hehehe

Here is what I have been doing. I epoxy a piece of 6-32 threaded rod or a bolt with the head cut off in the back end of my rocket. I epoxy it right along side the Motor tube with a bit protruding from the back of the rocket. You can then slide on a slightly oversided (#8) flat speed nut of a washer and as nut behind that. That has been working great for me on everything from my LPR clusters to my MPR's. On the cluster I just epoxy it between the MMt's and use a washer that catches all the motor casings.

Back