29mm Black Shadow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the Big BS got fixed and flew at the Music City Missile Club launch this past weekend. I went with CA for the repair, and upped the chute to a 24" Spherachute. Flew on a F20W Econojet, F52T Reload, and G38FJ Single Use. The repaired fin held up great. :clap:

Nom Nom wasn't to happy with me for not getting the paint job re-done, but the spent G38FJ motor case seemed to keep him happy for a while :roll:

Black Shadow 29mm 169.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 224.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 230.jpg

So after a successful repair and return to flight it was time to give the Big BS a proper re-finishing. Not wanting to simply add another layer of paint (and weight) I spent quite a few hours over many days sanding her back down into the original primer.

Finally got that done to my satisfaction. Here she is ready for paint, with Mr. Nom Nom Fish doing a taste test.. :p

MMMMmmmmmm... Gooooooood Stuuuuufffffff..... :D

Black Shadow 29mm 232 cropped.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 236 cropped.jpg

Got the new paint job finished! :clap:

Rust-Oleum Metallic Black, with a coat of Future Floor Polish on top. I really like the new metallics from Rust-Oleum.

I had a terrible time with the nose cone for some reason, I got air bubbles under the paint after it had set for a day or so... twice :mad: The primer is Rust-Oleum too so I don't know what the deal is. I stuck a pin in the bigger bubbles and got most of them to lie down, but it's ugly up close. Still looks cool though.

Got an F-40 in the tube for tomorrow, Mr Nom Nom Fish is diggin' life again! :D

Black Shadow 29mm 241 cropped.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 239 cropped.jpg

Good job on the repair and repaint, looks like new to me :)

Good job on the repair and repaint, looks like new to me :)

Thanks!

It was really frustrating to get a nice final coat of paint on the thing and then come back a day later and find big bubbles in it :mad: You're right though, it looks good, and you have to get real close to see anything wrong.

Back out to the sod farm on Saturday for the last Music City Missile Club launch of the season!

It was beautiful early, got windy later in the day, but it's hard to complain when there's nothing but flat grass a quarter mile in every direction :p

The Big BS had two good flights: Flight one on a F40-7W and Flight two on a G38-7FJ. No wind to speak of on the first launch so I even got a good recovery pic. Little bit more of a walk on the G38 launch, but still well inside the field. :D

6 flights now and she's holding up well. Time to put her up on a G64

Black Shadow 29mm 244 cropped.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 249 cropped.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 254 cropped.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 260 cropped.jpg

First launch day of 2010, brought the Big BS out to play... :D Awesome boost on a AT G38-7FJ a motor I have flown this bird on twice before with great success.

As I'm watching the coast, counting off the delay under my breath I am a little surprised when the ejection charge goes off just a bit past 4 seconds... :eek: Of course the chute deploys perfectly... :rolleyes: and the rocket jerks to a stop and starts it's descent. I didn't take much time to look at it on site since most of the field was either muck or standing water, but I did note that the lip of the BT seemed to be damaged as I put it in the car... :mad:

Got home and discovered my first ever (at least to my memory) Zipper! It's only about 1/2" long, and I could probably just trim off the damaged piece and fly it as is, but I will probably try and repair it... after 7 flights it's becoming a sentimental favorite :p

Black Shadow 29mm 265.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 267 cropped.jpg

Black Shadow 29mm 268 cropped.jpg

Back